Blocking your work

Hello, I was wondering if and how fellow knitters blocked their work? I have read various methods of doing this and in the past I have tried completely submerging the garment in water, (gently hand washing and rinsing) and pinning out to size to dry. I have also tried just dampening the garment and pinning out. I haven’t tried steaming (no contact with iron!) as reluctant to try this due to the heat. A friend doesn’t bother to block her work but I think it makes the garment look more professional. Do you block your work and what is your preferred method? Thank you.

I simply wash because I want all extra chemicals and dye washed away from the yarn. Then I am laying the garment flat to dry, without pinning or doing anything extra. I do not care enough to do more of blocking than that.

1 Like

I agree blocked items do look better but I rarely bother! I guess I don’t consider it because most stuff I make either doesn’t need it or would soon look the same as if I hadn’t - I make mostly toys/soft sculptures, hats, gloves and socks.
The stuff I have blocked, I pinned out on a towel, spritzed with water to dampen it and left to dry.

1 Like

I used to pin and spritz but lately I’m washing in a no-rinse like Euclan and pinning out. It does even out and set the sts. It works magic for lace.

1 Like

Thank you, I am going to rinse and pin out. I’ll take before and after photos :+1:

I hand washed and blocked. Now dry. I think it’s worth doing as it looks nicer.

1 Like

This was before blocking.

3 Likes

It really does even out the sts and make the pattern stand out. Lovely!

2 Likes

This dress and cardigan I blocked at the same time, I usEd fair isle technique for the first time.

5 Likes

The dress has the overlay that you kindly helped me on.

2 Likes

You worked the fair isle perfectly, not a pucker to be seen!

1 Like

Im blocking for 1st time this weekend. Forest paths hap by knitography…2 of them. I will let u know how i get on. One lady uses towel to squeeze water out then blocks and leaves on car bonnet to dry quickly. This is what Im trying

1 Like

I see the board you use for blocking and it’s brilliant.
I wash in Woolite and a touch of downy fabric softener. It makes it easier to put in position, especially if some of my edges roll. Since I’m doing a coat that is piece work it makes it so much easier to join the pieces

I just use pins on a slant.

It’s an extra step and it’s worth it for the final finish.

1 Like

Lovely work! I usually wash and wet block flat items using no-rinse Euclan. I let the item rest for a few minutes in the water to be sure the yarn is totally soaked through. Gently squeeze and then wrap in towel and apply pressure. I use blocking squares like yours, and pin if the item needs it - lacework, rolled edges, or maybe the teensiest bit too small :smirk:. I think it makes a big difference in the finished look. Plus I love the way wet wool smells. I haven’t tried spritzing or steaming but could see that those methods have their uses.

1 Like

I hand block my work. If I think it requires ironing, steam pressing…I use a pressing cloth over it.

Be safe.

1 Like

Thank you.
What do you mean by ‘hand block’?

Thank you, I have only just heard of Euclan from Salmonac. I am tempted to get some.

Thanks, it does make a difference to the end result. Recently I took back a jumper I’d knitted for my daughter-in-law to block it!

I hope you were successful in your blocking technique, sounds a good idea on a car bonnet! I also use towels to roll the garment in and press the water out.

A fabulous knitter I know doesn’t block her work, but she usually knits children’s items. it’s a personal choice. Thanks.