Bind-off question

EVERY time I knit a ribbed scarf and bind off at the end, the bind off end ALWAYS ends up flared out and doesn’t look like the cast-on end.

Last night I finished up a K3 P3 scarf and bound off the sts in pattern. I even K2 tog occasionally, thinking that would narrow the end so it wouldn’t flare out. DIDN’T WORK!!!:hair: :hair:

Does anyone have some hints/tips as to how to stop this from happening??? This happens every single time I knit a rib scarf.

Thank you!!!
knitcindy

No matter what you do, a standard CO and BO will never look the same.
ALso, the BO stitch will always look flat.

Binding off is a two step process where you first work the sts from the L hand needle, and then you BO (pass a st over) from the R hand needle. Even if you work the sts off of the L hand needle in pattern (ribbing in this case) when you do the BO (pass st over) from the R needle it will create a flat looking st along the very edge.

That being said…
There are lots of different COs and BOs. You can look and you may find ones that you like better or looks more like each other.
Also, if you BO on the ws, that flat st/edge will roll toward the ws and be less visible from the rs.

A method I’ve used that will make both ends match is to start with an invisible cast on. Then when you’re done put those stitches on your needle and bind off that end.

You can try using a smaller needle to bind off or choose a different one. I also suggest binding off in knits and purls to match your pattern. It really does look nicer.

1 Like

You can essentially avoid the flare if you consistenly k2 tog. You don’t have to do it with every stitch but try doing it once in every set of k3 and once in each p3 all across the row as you bind off.

2 Likes

I do a bind off in the regular way except purl all the stitches instead of knitting them. Then my cast off looks the same as the cast on. It’s also about the same width and doesn’t flare out. It’s not in any of the knitting books and would probably make a knitting instructor cringe, but it works for me.

1 Like

I also Purl instead of Knit when I BO… But for me it only works if I BO on the WS of my work. It really does look so much nicer.

1 Like

I know it’s been awhile since I originally posted this question but I tried your suggestion last night on a k2, p2 ribbed afghan with 120 sts. And it WORKED!!! Hardly any flaring at all on the bind off end!!!

Thanks again for your suggestion!
Knitcindy

1 Like

I forgotten all about this question. Glad it worked for you.

1 Like

At first I though it would look funny with the k2 and p2 tog all across the row, but it all looks fine. Such a big relief, since this afghan is a wedding gift and I didn’t want that ugly flaring!!

Thanks again!
Knitcindy

Wow, I didn’t know that! Interesting!

Technique Thursday - Avoiding ears when casting on and off

I found this on Pinterest today before I read your post. It’s a really easy cast on bind off with no decreases.

Hope this helps :grinning:

1 Like

Do you mean this?
Technique Thursday - Avoiding ears when casting on and off

2 Likes

Thanks, Tangles and thanks GG. Those are handy refinements to know about.

Thanks so much GG!!! I had never heard about either of these tricks!! Now I just have to try them!!!

Happy Knitting!!
Knitcindy

Your welcome :grinning: