Best way to sew a border on a blanket

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here and I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. I am working on a baby blanket from a pattern. I finished the middle part of the blanket and am working on the border. The pattern for the border has a lot of K2tog and skipped stitches so it curls up a bit when it gets some length. The edge that is supposed to be sewed to the blanket is sl stitches on even rows (I copied the pattern below in case that’s not clear).

My question is, what is the best stitch to use to sew the border on to the blanket? I used a mattress stitch to sew the blanket’s blocks together but I couldn’t really use the same stitch for the border because of the sl stitches and because it seems like laying the two pieces together in that way would only make the border curl up more.

Hopefully I’ve described this well enough that someone will be able to offer suggestions. I’m a pretty inexperienced knitter so if you can suggest a way to do this it would be great if you could also point me towards a website that has a good tutorial.

Pattern:

BORDER: With CA, cast on 13 sts.

Row 1 and all odd numbered rows: K1, P to last 2 sts, K2.

Row 2: Sl 1, K3, yo, K5, yo K2tog, yo, K2 - 15 sts.

Row 4: Sl 1, K4, sl 1, K2tog, psso, K2 [yo, K2tog] twice, K1 - 13 sts.

Row 6: Sl 1, K3, SKP, K2, [yo, K2tog] twice, K1 - 12 sts.

Row 8: Sl 1, K2, SKP, K2, [yo, K2tog] twice, K1 - 11 sts.

Row 10: Sl 1, K1, SKP, K2 [yo, K2tog] twice, K1 - 10 sts.

Row 12: K1, SKP, K2, yo K1, yo, K2tog, yo, K2 - 11 sts.

Row 14: Sl 1, [K3, yo] twice, K2tog, yo, K2 - 13 sts.

Rep Rows 1-14 until border fits around blanket, sewing the sl st edge in place as you go and gathering to ease around corners. Bind off in pat. Sew ends of border strip together.

Thanks!

I’m not sure, but I’ll bump this so the more knowledgeable can help.

Have you considered using a crochet joining? You could work a single crochet edge on the blanket, then crochet that into the edge (if you crochet). If you don’t crochet, or prefer to sew them together, use a wooden needle and either whip-stitch or ladder-stitch (the stitches on the right side are at right angles to the seam with the “slant” on the verso) would be fast, strong and easy. If your yarn is heavy, you could split it down and use just one or two ply.