Best way to rip back in the round?

I need to rip out about 20 rounds of my ChicKami. It’s in the round, and I need to go back… what’s the best way to do this? Lifeline? Do I take the work off the needles? Help!

Depends upon the detail as to whether I take mine off of the needles or not…if it’s very detailed I go st by st (a pain, yes, but I have a tendency to get lost in a detailed pattern if I don’t do it this way). If it’s not detailed, I just take it off of the needles & pull it out & count each row as I pull it out. Why to u have to frog back so far?! Nothing you can ladder down with crochet hook to fix?! I’m so sorry :frowning:

If I take the knitting off the needles, how will I know where the round begins?

Reason for rippin back so far is in the Nov. challenge thread.

place a marker at the beginning of the round, several rows back & watch each time the yarn goes by & count each round as it goes by the marker as u are ripping…make sense?!

ah, ok I think I see what you mean… I’ll just stick a safety pin down the knitting. Thanks!

U bet :wink:

i usually go back stitch by stitch anyway because i find that i have a hard time getting the needle back in without popping out more stitches. thankfully i haven’t gone back that far before, if i did i would probably just rip the whole thing out and swear about it the whole time. color me impatient!

Have you considered finding a ‘destination row’? It may be too late now, but if you put a needle through one loop of each stitch all the way around, below the part you want to rip out, you can rip out down to the needle. You can use a tapestry needle and yarn, too.

Ah, that’s the other answer I was hoping to see! Thanks, Ingrid! I havent’ touched it yet, hehe. :happydance:

I think it’s the best way of all–even if you accidentally pick up the wrong row, your stitches are still secure. You may have to fiddle a bit with them after you take them out. I’ve done it where I didn’t pick up the correct row all the way around. I had to slip/tink around once, but then it was on the needles and good to go.

The needle and yarn way is good in that it’s easier to see if your line is straight around, but then you still have to put the stitches back on your needle.

Very cool, Ingrid!!! TY! :cheering:

DITTO DENISE :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: Thanks
Ing-A-Ling…what would we do without u :smiley: ?!

I was at one time foolish enough to think I ‘invented’ doing that–I had some gynormous number of stitches around and lots of rows to take out so I figured out how to do it this way. I later found out it was a ‘technique.’ :rollseyes: Silly me!

Denise, sorry to hear about your having to frog 20 rows! I hope you’re not bummed out. I tend to roll with these things, but I don’t want to curse myself by saying “ahhh, I don’t mind frogging.” :oo:

For the record, here’s what I do. Geeze, this makes me sound reckless, but I see no reason to fear just ripping down to the stitches, especially with stockinette stitch. Unless it’s lacework that would be hard to figure out how to get back on the needle, I just pull out the needle and rip out the work straight down to my destination row, then stick in the needle stitch by stitch.

If the stitches are fussy and elusive, you can also do this… frog to the row before… then pull out a stitch, and put the newly exposed stitch directly on the needle. Do that stitch by stitch around, as you frog the last row.

I just find these faster than inserting a lifeline or needle pre-frogging, and I’ve never had a problem with it. If I were to insert something pre-frogging, I’d use a SMALL diameter cable needle, which makes getting into stitches easier, and you can knit right off it.

Oh, and as far as finding the beginning of the row, I typically leave my cast-on tail dangling, and it always tells me where the beginning was. (If I’ve worked in the tail for three stitches, I count back three stitches from the tail.)

Amy, I’m not going to argue with your technique…it sounds like a great idea for the fearless knitter. I’m a little fearless, but more so when it comes to knitting flat.

Hooowwwever…when knitting in the round, I’m just a little skerred! I think I’m going to take the safer route. Thanks, though, for your suggestions. I think I’m going to be doing a little of all 3 of your ideas!

As far as being bummed out…I’m a little bummed out, but looking forward to learning this rip-out version! In knitting, I have always learned much more from my mistakes than my successes!

When it’s all said and done, you’ll be glad you did it. If you left the mistakes in, and they bother you, you’d never be happy with the final product.

Ingrid, I already know that you are soooo right! Quite a few gals from the knitting group assured me that no one would notice the mistakes, but I kept thinking that I would know they were there, and they would bother me.

I had to :frog: a good portion of my clapotis that I knit yesterday, did it st by st bc it’s got a gazillion st markers for the 2 gazillion twisted sts…so I did it st by st & I’m happy I did…I would have been lost on this one had I just ripped…and very mad!!! But it turned out nicely after I fixed it & i am knitting along & have reached the boring part bc it’s all St st…but I will KNIT ON bc it’s gonna be too :sunglasses: cool when I’m done :wink:

I’m not a perfectionist by any means, and there are always things in my knitting that I messed up on. But if it’s something that bothers me, it’s gotta go!