Best Knitting Books to Own

Hi! I am a new knitter…self taught via this website and others and I have one small booklet about knitting.

I also love books and would like your recommendations for the best books to add to my “library”… :wink:

After searching Amazon I have come up with these three that I think I will like:

Stitch N Bitch (Debbie Stoller)
Getting Started Knitting Socks (Ann Budd)
The Best of Vogue Knitting Magazine, 25 Years

Please let me know your 1 or 2 favorite Knitting Books. I’m looking for HOW TO books at the beginner then edging into the intermediate level. Patterns in the books are essential!

Thank you!
Robin

I have a great one called Knit Fix by Lisa Kartus…it’s great for troubleshooting various knitting problems.

Welcome to Knitting!!!
I started and stopped as a child, then a college student and finally got back in again with Stitch and Bitch. It has some good explanations of many aspects. It’s also a fun read which, to me, is essential. Another book you may consider is Mason-Dixon Knitting. It’s hilarious and has some awesome projects.
Have Fun!!!

Mason Dixon looks great! Thanks!

I just bought this one this weekend and I like it a lot.

These all sound good, but I’d suggest 1) look through everything knitting-related you can find at your local library. Also don’t buy a book on a particular subject until you’ve exhausted the possibilities of the Internet. Of course, everything isn’t on the internet… but it’s worth looking to see what’s there and picking your books to complement online stuff.

Search on this forum and I think you’ll find lists from where this question, or one similar, has been posted before. Two of my favorites are Knitting Without tears and Knitting in Plain English.

I have very few knitting books, although I’m slowly adding to my library. The Knitter’s Companion lives in my knitting bag, I have found it to be one of the most comprehensive and helpful books out there. It doesn’t have patterns but a lot of good explanations for when you’re working on something and unsure. Great when you don’t have easy access to the internet or don’t want to wait. The other book that I love, and I have loaned to various people is Knitting Marvelous Mittens by Charlene Schurch; I bought that book because I loved the patterns, but I had never worked on DPNs before and hadn’t ever made a mitten. I have made three or four pairs out of the book, learned how to use DPNs and do fair isle from it, and I highly recommend it.

The Knitting Answer Book is great. It really has a lot of answers in there. It’s also small, so you can carry it with you in your knitting bag.

Knitting for Dummies
Stitch and Bitch

If I chose one, I’d go with SnB.

I like Knitting without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman, too. Also The Vogue Knitting Book-has all kinds of things, including a stitch Dictionary. Someone already mentioned Knitting for Dummies, and I like that one as well as the Mason Dixon Knitting book.

Good luck! I want to get the Getting Started Knitting Socks book you mentioned too-that looks like a good one!

I’d say…Stitch-n-Bitch as well as How to Knit by Debbie Bliss…

I have to agree with checking out as many books as you can from the library since buying a lot of books can be pricey and you probably only need one or two that explain the hows of knitting versus patterns and stitches.

The one that I found helped me the most at the beginning was: The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Knitting and Crocheting (versus just the knitting one - the one with both knitting and crocheting is far better). It’s about as simple as you can get and the projects in there are fantastic. Of course, if you need to see something done to learn it, watch the videos on this incredible site - they truly are hands-down the BEST.

Other books that are making their way onto my shelf that I am enjoying are:

Ready, Set, Knit - by Sasha Kagan
The Knitter’s Bible: Knitted Accessories - by Claire Crompton
How to Knit - by Debbie Bliss

I also just ordered Ann Budd’s The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns which I have heard excellent things about and am really excited to use!

Good luck and happy reading…

:muah: