Beginner needing help with pattern

I am trying to make a new baby blanket, i am someone that can only knit scarves at this stage. I’m just struggling with reading this pattern. I’ve googled it and I am still struggling. I thought I would need to cast on more stitches. Can anyone help? The pattern is for each square. I will be so grateful if someone could help, :muah:

Square (make 36:

18 in A and 18 in B)

Cast on 1 st.

Row 1 (RS): K1f&b; 2 sts.

Row 2: K1f&b, knit to end; 3 sts.

Rep row 2 until there are 20 sts.

Next row: Knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; 19 sts.

Rep last row until 1 st remains. Fasten off.

You’re going to be knitting a diamond shape by starting at one corner and increasing to 20sts, then decreasing to the opposite point.
Basically, you’re increasing by doing a knit front & back at the beginning of every row. Here’s a video for the kfb in case you’d like to see it.

This will give you a triangle until you get to 20sts. At that point you’ll decrease on stitch at the end of each row until you’re back down to one stitch and the diamond is complete.

Can I ask your advice? I am so new to knitting and only know how to cast on, cast off and knit (garter stitch). If I wanted to knit a small blanket can I just do a hear of squares by casting on normally and doing garter stitch, then casting off? Will the edges of my squares be strong enough to adhere together? That pattern is too hard for my to understand

A plain garter stitch blanket would be gorgeous. The edges will be fine as is (I like the little edge bumps garter stitch gives you) or you could slip the first stitch to make a chain edge if you’d like. If you don’t want to seam a bunch of squares you could knit several strips or knit the whole blanket in one piece.
Here’s some information on slipping the first stitch.

You can make squares in garter stitch OR make strips (like a bunch of scarves) OR make your afghan in 1 big square!!!

Any of these choices will make a beautiful blanket.
knitcindy