Basketweave pattern

I absolutely love the look of this stitch http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTbamboozelle.html but I don’t really understand the pattern instructions. It’s for a really cute basket.

They read: Row1 (WS) P1, sl1 (p into second st on left needle, p into first st on left needle, slide both stiches off needle together) to last 2 stiches, p2.

Row 2 (RS) K1, (K into back of second st on left needle, k into back of first st on left needle, slide both stitches off needle together) to last st, k1.

I would like to try this for a scarf (or something like that) but I’m not sure about the slipping of the stitches. I’m assuming this is a decrease but I’m not experienced enough to know for sure.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks! Kim

Your link doesn’t work because the ‘)’ is attached to it.

What you’re doing is not a decrease, it’s a version of a twisted rib. Basically your knitting/purling the two stitches out of order to twist them.

You p1, then sl1–just pass the next stitch from the left needle to the right, Then you’re working the twist on the next two stitches. Just follow the directions as they’re written and you should be good to go.

Thanks Ingrid. I took the “()” out so the link should work now.

I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help!

this is my favorite stitch. One my second class, I came in with about 6 inches of basketweave, it was that easy. I do dishcloths and such in it, of course when I crochet it was my favorite stitch there as well.