Basic Stitch Questions - I'm way past confused. lol

Hi there, I’m new to this site and have a question that hopefully someone will be able to help me out with. I’ve only ever knitted scarves and that… just plain knitting. :blush:
I’m planning on knitting a throw for my boyfriend. I asked my Granny about this, and she mentioned that for the border, I’m supposed to do one purl stitch then a plain one, then reverse it… so the edges don’t go up. I’m looking for the easiest explaination on this one… lol. :XX:
Second question… she mentioned a Seed Stitch… anyone know the definition that could help me out on this one? :??

Thanks,

~Kelly.

Yep, seed stitch is a good border to keep the knitting from rolling up. It lays nice and flat.

For a border I’d probably do 5sts of seed stitch, so that would be:
K1 P1 K1 P1 K1 and then when you work those stitches on the wrong side it would also be K1 P1 K1 P1 K1.

Sheesh, that sounds like a bad explanation but I can’t think of a better way!

OOOOOOH, here is a video that shows seed stitch, under Basic Stitch Patterns.

I thought it was a LOVELY explanation, KQ!

Seed st will be nice as a blanket border. And, Granny is right…stockinette stitch (all knit sts on the front, all purl on the back) curls. Garter st (all knit sts everywhere, looks like ridges) does not…

Hi Kelly! I just want to warn you that if someone makes a tongue-in-cheek remark about Kelly, it’s probably about the KellyK in the above post! :frowning: Welcome to the forum.

AWWWW! :frowning: We can make tongue in cheek remarks about the NEW Kelly, too! We dont want her to feel unwelcome, do we??

Just don’t want her to think we’re picking on her!

lol… thanks guys… I hope this turns out ok… I’ve already warned him what he could be getting. :lol: :XX: