Austin, TX and surrounding areas?

I actually live in Bastrop, TX, which is just outside of Austin, but travel to Austin regularly. So, is there anybody in the area?

I live in Corpus Christi. Is that too far away?

Yeah, it’s about 4 hrs I think.

Hi, Stacy! I’m in north Austin- Braker/Metric area, and work downtown.

Carey

I live near Houston, and there is an alpaca ranch in Brenham that might be a good “(almost) half-way point”. :waving:

Wow, how fun would it be to meet at an alpaca ranch! :slight_smile:

I live in Cedar Creek… and drive to Austin five days a week.

Hi Anna,
I don’t really know where Cedar Creek is- is that a long drive? I drive from north Austin to downtown 5 days a week and it makes me crazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Carey

I am right off of 71 East about 5 miles west of Bastrop (in between 21 going to San Marcos and McKinney’s Rough). I work downtown and there are days when traffic makes me want to knit while driving.

Ahh, you’re going the opposite way from me… but I know the feeling! I’d be afraid that if I pulled out my knitting, the traffic would make me want to gouge my eyes out… but I do love working downtown. :slight_smile:

Boy I am so glad I don’t have to make the drive to Austin every day anymore. That is just miserable, and expensive too. Now I work about ten blocks from my house, and it is really nice. I do go to Cedar Creek often though, as my dad still lives there, and my sister is in Rockne.

I too live in central texas (go texas :D)

So, has anyone been to the LYS up on North Hills Drive, called European Knits? That’s closer to my end of town, Hill Country Weavers is cool but soooo far away from me.

Carey

I went in there a few days ago, and I was not impressed. Very small selection, hardly worth the gas. It’s an older German lady running a yarn shop in the front room of her apartment. When I asked her if she knew of any companies locally who would process my raw llama wool into rovings, I got a long lecture about how I need to do it myself, and the only people who know how to do things the “right” way are the europeans. It’s 30 lbs. of wool, and I’ve got 30 more to shear off the llamas in a few weeks. But no, I should do it myself. Anyways, I wouldn’t recommend that place.

Has anybody tried Bluebonnet Yarn Shop? I haven’t been in there yet.

Stacy, thanks for the info. DARN, I was hoping it would be a good place since it’s so much closer to me! Oh well…

I haven’t been to Bluebonnet either.

Carey

I live in Austin (Oak Hill actually) and I work downtown. Usually from about 9:00 am till 10:15 am, and from 2:30ish till about 4:45 pm during the week, I knit in the Seattle’s Best coffee shop in the Frost Bank tower. I ride the bus to work, and I get downtown about an hour and a half before work (I’m a sushi chef downtown, and my wife drops me off at the bus stop on her way to work). Then I have time between shifts, so I spend my time knitting.

I just started knitting in October. I made a scarf and started a second, then I discovered knitting in the round. Now I mainly knit hats. I have also felted a couple of them. And I am now teaching myself how to wet felt (I’ve done one hat this way so far, but I need more practice).

Also, while knitting in the coffee shop, I occasionally talk with the husband of the woman who owns the Bluebonnet Yarn shop, but I haven’t made it up there yet. I have to bus everywhere.

I live in Austin (Oak Hill actually) and I work downtown. Usually from about 9:00 am till 10:15 am, and from 2:30ish till about 4:45 pm during the week, I knit in the Seattle’s Best coffee shop in the Frost Bank tower. I ride the bus to work, and I get downtown about an hour and a half before work (I’m a sushi chef downtown, and my wife drops me off at the bus stop on her way to work). Then I have time between shifts, so I spend my time knitting.

I just started knitting in October. I made a scarf and started a second, then I discovered knitting in the round. Now I mainly knit hats. I have also felted a couple of them. And I am now teaching myself how to wet felt (I’ve done one hat this way so far, but I need more practice).

Also, while knitting in the coffee shop, I occasionally talk with the husband of the woman who owns the Bluebonnet Yarn shop, but I haven’t made it up there yet. I have to bus everywhere.

Manmade- wow! I would kill to have that much knitting time, that’s awesome! I work just a little west of downtown (near Huts) but I’m a legal assistant, so not much knitting time during my work day. :stuck_out_tongue: I carry it around with me anyway, though, and occasionally do a little knitting during lunch. I have a co-worker who is my knitting inspiration, and recently discovered that one of our clients is a knitter as well, so he and I have been talking knitting when we work together! :slight_smile:

Carey

I’m a substitute teacher at our high school, so I get to knit during my conference period if I’m not too busy, and occasionally if I have a small quiet class, or they’re watching a movie or something. The kids are just fascinated by it, for some reason.

That most kids are. they find it fascinating that you can make accesories/clothing from yarn or at least. I did, (when I was smaller).