Assembling a patchwork poncho

I am knitting squares of 4’‘X4’’ of different colors to make a patchword poncho. How could I assemble them so the stitches show and look nice?

If you want the seams to show, I would do a simple whipstitch.

This website has nice instructional photos on how to do it: http://www.knittingfairy.com/techniques3.htm

I guess this could work, but I want something more like we usually see border felted items

as in this picture:

Hiya peanuts,
If you really want the seams to show and want a neat finish. You could single crochet them together. You would have a wonderful raised ridge where the seams are and it would also be very neat looking.

I know how to crochet but never did assembly with crochet, do you have a web site that demonstrate it?

:?? :shrug: :wall: [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Well crud, I can’t seem to find anything on the net concerning single crocheting seams on knitted items anywhere. Well shucks, Hmmmm, [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]All I can think of doing is, get a crochet hook that is 1 or two sizes smaller than your knitting needle size, Use a contrasting color yarn or matching (depends on what you want the finished item to look like) and place squares wrong side together and right sides facing out, matching stiches on both pieces, insert the crochet hook in the end of the rows (each piece) and single crochet across. or if you are joining end to end then do the same thing (might have to adjust the amount of crochet stitches as they are a bit wider than the normal knit stitch) and just sc across, making sure not to pull too tightly or put too many stitches so that the piece starts to ruffle. That’s the only thing I can think of. Sheesh, maybe I need to make a tutorial on my blog for seaming knitting with crochet etc. hmmm or maybe someone else can. It’s a thought though huh?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]Sorry I couldn’t be of more help to ya:waah: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Crochetcabana has info on crocheting sqs tog here:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/joining_squares.htm

Assuming you’ve done the appropriate selvage sts on your knit sqs, just pick up as you would on crocheted sqs.

Attached is pic of afghan I did (knit) with crocheted joins. ETA…because each sq is diff yarn (gauge, no of sts) some edges were picked up as sc, others as sc w/slip st, to ensure all remained flat.

cam

WOW!! Thank you so much to the two of you.
I’ll try to post a picture when I’m done.
YEAH, I’m a happy knitter now:cheering:

I wasn’t sure what type of look you were ISO. I am so happy you found a way to do it so it turns out the way you want. Yippee!

This is exactly what I want, but, I CAN’T CROCHET!

Is there any way to knit squares together? Has that ever been done??