Arthritis in R hand

Thank you so much! I will definitely look at those videos I’ve only ever knitted one way, and my R thumb is really being effected .

Take up yoga! It offers so many good things, one of which giving you something to do instead of eating! Well, at least for some of the time…:wink:. I have been doing yoga twice a week, in a class setting, for a couple of years now and I’m 68! Our instructor focuses on strength, mobility and balance. Before, getting up from the ground was a challenge. Now I can now get up off the ground smoothly, without any assistance from a chair or something to lean one. The other benefit is how much it improves your posture and balance. At our age, balance is integral! I also found the breathing method helps me shut my brain off so I can relax and sleep. Of course, check with your doctor to make sure it’s ok… Best of luck, Steve.

1 Like

Im so sorry you are having these issues Steve. Have you talked with a naturopath? I have staved off 2 separate long term issues with vitamins & diet. Not arthritis, tho. My doctor poo-pooed it, but one was 1991 & I have never had it again. The other they used to poo-pooed, but now even regular medicine has to admit that keto diet does indeed control T2 diabetes.

Just an idea. I hope you find a solution.

Yep. Basel joint A very common but mostly in women. In any case switching to Norwegian knitting has allowed me to knit for the last 4 years since I taught myself. Look up Arne Carlos videos for the real N knitting. It’s a certain type of continental. Really saves the joints. I’m an odd bird though because I purl both N way and often Portuguese way. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing I will look that up . I’ve been knitting the same way since I was a kid . I need to find another way, cause , I’m substituting eating for knitting *

I’ve been reading about Basal joint arthritis . I’m assuming that’s what I have . My dr didn’t mention that to me, but just called it plain arthritis. I haven’t been knitting at all, and I wear a soft brace . Unfortunately, there’s no cure for this . I looked at the Norwegian style but seems so awkward. I could try English style, but, this is so depressing . Thank you to everyone for listening.

2 Likes

Hey Steve. Sorry you’re feeling so down and missing your knitting.
I know it’s not the same but have you considered trying some cross stitch for during your knitting break? Whilst kn my kjitting ban I have found I can do a bit of cross stitch, I still limit my time because of my mobility problems etc but it is at least something for a short time and it doesn’t put so much pressure on the thumb. It depends how bad you are just now because maybe your thumb can’t manage a sewing needle?
I was not jnto cross stitch at all but decided to give it a go and I have enjoyed it more than I imagined. Not a patch on knitting of course but it is something to break up the day (and stop your hand reaching for food).
I got a great kit where the image is printed on the fabric and all the threads provided. Actually my son got the kit with 2 designs we can do one each, he plans to make them into a cushion for his play room.

Thank you so much

Do you know of anybody who has had surgery for this ? Or what treatment? I’m in terrible pain. I had an injection for trigger thumb, but till have pain. And, arthritis in the same thumb, and I had an injection for that. So, I have 2 problems in the same thumb.

I am a Chiropractor and avid knitter. Please don’t stop your favorite hobby. Get some Biofreeze and a timer… Allow only 15 minute sittings and keep creating. You might also try some acupuncture. 15 minutes a day, but put that Biofreeze on first. Happy knitting.

1 Like

Thanks for responding to me I’ve had a couple steroid injections in my thumb. The first one lasted almost a year , but the 2nd one was not as successful. I have two problems in the same thumb, arthritis and I had trigger thumb. I don’t have any triggering now, but , I still have pain at the base of my thumb, and the knuckle closest to the nail bed. I’m going to see my orthopedic dr today to see what else can be done . I think it’s too soon for another injection, since my last one was in November 28, 2023. I’m miserable without my knitting . Does Biofreeze really help ? I can’t have surgery at this time . I baby sit for my 2 yr old grandson. Please help !

Also, which Biofreeze product do you suggest ? There are creams, gels, not sure which one to get .