Aran knitting

What is the actual meaning of Aran in knitting? Is it a weight of yarn of wool? I always see patterns called “Aran blanket” or Aran… something or other- what is Aran? Inquiring minds want to know!

It’s both, but I’m pretty sure traditional Aran knitting style has been around much longer than Aran weight yarn.

1 Like

What Shintoga said is my understanding also. “Aran weight” refers to a thickness of yarn, roughly equivalent to the thicker end of the worsted weight range, I believe, or even slightly thicker. I once read that the term is used more in the British Isles than in North America, but I’ve seen vendors in the USA selling “Aran weight” yarn too. “Aran patterns”, or “Aran sweaters”, etc refers to a folk style of knitted items that originated in the Aran Islands off the West Coast of Ireland, at the mouth of Galway Bay (I’ve been there about 15 years ago! Really neat little archipelago!). They were traditionally knit in naturally white-ish wool with lots of cables and other decorative patterns and probably felted somewhat, like most traditional knitted woolens. I’m not sure what, if any, connection there is between the yarn weight category and the actual folk tradition…