Anyone ever made placemats?

Has anyone knitted placemats? If so, do you like/use them? Share pictures!
I’m thinking about knitting placemats, so I’m sure I would want to use 100% cotton, right? I’ve looked for patterns at knittingpatterncentral.com and they have several, but I think I could find more patterns just using the dishcloth boutique site and make the dishcloth larger.
Jackie

I’m curious to read responces on this. I saw KP had some patterns in their catalog, and I too was thinking about making some placemats. Hopefully people have had a positive experience.

Jana

I made some a number of years ago from a kit, probably mary maxim or Herschnerr’s. I’m not savvy enough to post pics… we use them on occasion. Hope this helps a bit.

I made a set for my Mom, she loves them as a decoration, doesn’t allow food on them though.

I’ve went through all my links and can’t find the picture. I do have the pattern copied. I’ll see if she will take a picture.

OK, here’s the picture if you want the pattern PM me since I can’t find the link.

i’ve seen some felted placemats before, and coasters. those were really cute, but they were more modern-style with different swirled colors. i’m sure you could do whatever you wanted with the colors though.

Kamie, those are VERY pretty! Did you knit with cotton? Seems you would want to use cotton so it would be easier to wash.

I saw some in the KnitPicks catalog or you can check it out online. One set was felted but the other was just knit and I think you could download the pattern free.

http://knitpicks.com/knitting+patterns+for+home_PL300213.html

Try dishcloth-type cotton (Sugar and Cream, Peaches & Creme, Lion Cotton, etc.) DOUBLED. Then pick a pattern from a stitch pattern dictionary and knit to size. You’ll have thick, sturdy, washable placemats.

If you want to work with two colors, try the ball band dishcloth pattern from Peaches & Creme (it’s also in the Mason-Dixon book), or any slip-stitch pattern.

Make swatches first and use them for potholders!