Any help with Veil Stitch? or perhaps

Barbara G. Walker’s Treasury of Knitting Stitches (the first of 3 volumes)? Her directions for Veil Stitch, on P. 165, seem clearer to me than the ones you used, and her illustration shows a much neater and more even result.

a scan of these directions? :pray:

I’d like to try it again with DK weight & size 17 needles, as that might more closely approximate going from crochet thread to size 8 needles…

Has anyone here tried [color=darkblue]this[/color] stitch?

I gave it a go last night with some worsted weight yarn & size 10 needles, and though I do get a very lacy open stitch, it doesn’t look exactly like the picture on the pattern stitch page.

There just seem to be too many ways to interpret the instructions <sigh> again…I tried it two different ways already…

Any help would be appreciated.

Diane

P.S. I :muah: LOVE all the new emoticons!!! :woot:[quote][/quote]

Knitted lace tends to look pretty miserable until it’s blocked.

Make a swatch of the veil stitch (if you haven’t already),
dampen it thoroughly, pin the edges to a cushion, mattress or carpet and let it dry thoroughly. Really stretch it out. It should come out looking a whole lot better.

If you found the directions ambiguous, it sometimes helps to try another writer’s version. I’d recommend Barbara G. Walker’s Treasury of Knitting Stitches (the first of 3 volumes)? Her directions for Veil Stitch, on P. 165, seem clearer to me than the ones you used, and her illustration shows a much neater and more even result.

Well,

I think I may’ve solved this, not sure.

With [color=blue]these[/color] instructions, I think I’ve basically figured out that you’re making a “figure 8” with the yarn around the two needles. Anyone else wanna give it a try and see if you agree?

It’s really kinda cool, and I think it would be a great stitch for a lacy-looking scarf.

A VERY cool site by the way…that I found by perusing the posts on this site…which is one of the BEST features of this site. So much knowledge & websurfing combined in one place :woohoo: :thumbsup:

And I think I’ve just died & gone to heaven…knittingfool has [color=blue][size=6]960[/size][/color]pattern stitches on that site…that oughta keep me busy for quite awhile!
:cheering:

Diane