Any fix for a hat that's too big (all stockinette stitch)?

I’m making a hat for my aunt who’s lost her hair to chemo. I’m using a synthetic boucle yarn that driving me nuts! It’s just a pain to knit. I made a gauge, but the hat itself is still coming out too big. I have about 3" done and I hate working with the yarn so much that I REALLY don’t want to rip it all out and redo it. Is there some trick to fix it? I planning on sewing/crocheting some fun fur on the edge when I’m done. Can I sew it in there in some how so it will tighten it and make it smaller?

TIA,

Becky

If you put a ribbing around the edge, on smaller needles, that should tighten it up.

So pick up at the bottom and add rows of ribbing upside down?

Exactly!

Thanks Ingrid! I’ll give it a go!

Have a good one,

Thanks again, Ingrid! I did that on two hats (don’t ask why I made TWO hats in a row, too big!) and it worked quite well. They both have a bit of a loose fit, though above the brim, so if that’s not someone’s style, don’t try this technique.

Overall, it was easy and a WHOLE lot faster than ripping the whole hat and starting from scratch.

HTH someone else. :smiley:

This was Elizabeth Zimmerman’s fix for sweaters that were too big, too. Sometimes adding a ribbing just pulls it in enough to make it feel better.