Another Magic Loop Question

Ok, here is another question :oops:

In the video, Amy says to find the midway point in your knitting. What if you have an uneven number of stitches on your needle?

Also, in my pattern I am decreasing (knit 5, knit 2 tog, repeat across row, next row k4, k2tog, repeat across row, etc). I am guessing that I have to make sure that I have the right number of stitches on each side so I don’t get to the end and find I can’t knit my 2 together? Does this make sense?

I am nervous about trying this ML I think!

Hi Cinnamama!

Firstly, let me say that I think Magic Loop is an amazing invention! I used it for knitting sleeves in the round and it was so effective, and so much nicer than juggling DPNs…

I haven’t seen the video yet, but in your first question, it sounds like you’re just dividing your stitches - so it doesn’t matter if you divide in the “midpoint” or not. It’s like dividing your stitches when using DPN, you could have 20 stitches on two needles and 5 on the third… it doesn’t matter because you’re knitting in the round so they all get knitted anyway.

For your decreasing question, do you want the decreases directly over each other, or “staggered” so one row’s decreases are in between the previous row’s decreases? I reckon it’d be easiest if you take a look at your previous rows while you knit, and slightly modify your pattern to suit, “on-the-fly”. Perhaps more or less Knit stitches between the K2togs, to match your lining up or staggering of decreases. They shouldn’t show a lot, anyway.

Hope that helps! I’ll go watch the video now

“For your decreasing question, do you want the decreases directly over each other, or “staggered” so one row’s decreases are in between the previous row’s decreases? I reckon it’d be easiest if you take a look at your previous rows while you knit, and slightly modify your pattern to suit, “on-the-fly”. Perhaps more or less Knit stitches between the K2togs, to match your lining up or staggering of decreases. They shouldn’t show a lot, anyway.”

Thank you. I now understand why I can split the stitches unevenly, but I don’t understand the 2nd part. My decreases alternate every other row. So k5 k2tog, repeat across row, then knit a row, k4 k2 tog, repeat across row, knit a row, etc. If I end up with the wrong number of stitches on one side so that I can’t k2tog at the end of it, can I move a stitch over?

Thanks so much for your help. I love this website!

Yes, just move the stitch over. It doesn’t matter which needle/section it’s on.

sue

If you start off at your K2tog, K5 section with a multiple of 7 stitches on either side of your magic loop then you won’t have to redistribute your stitches at all through the decreasing section.

Thank you everyone! Will try tonight - don’t be surprised to see more ?s in the am :slight_smile: