Adjusting yarn on needles

Hi. I just started up again (after trying to learn at the end of last year with no luck). I found that continental knitting is my bag! :cheering:

Anywho, my question is this: does anyone ese have to keep adjusting their work on the needles? What I mean is, do you have to keep scootching your yarn towards the end of the left needle to slip it off easier and scootching your right needle stitches closer to the end so that your not stretching the stitches? Does that make any sense??

Yes, stitches need to be scootched. :teehee:

great, thanks. Now if I could just get my tension right, I’d be golden!! :rofl:

I push mine toward the tips all the time…

sue

I find that and I switched to Continental a couple of months ago after knitting for about 6 months English style. In English I was good at scootching the stitches without stopping the knitting, in Continental I really have to stop for a second. But after 2 months of English I think I hadn’t reached the point of scootching while still knitting. Hopefully this way will become automatic too, soon.

Sarah

:teehee:

I did the same thing as you mommyto2 … tried knitting a year ago… got frustrated, and tried again after finding this website… Im plowing along now!.. this place is AWESOME…

The scootching becomes mindless eventually…especially when working on circular needles…

hehe you could say that it’s a necessary evil, but after a while, it becomes so commonplace that you really don’t notice it as much, if at all.

If the scootching becomes so hard that it’s actually painful, you may be knitting too tightly. There’s a good article in the knitty.com archives on loosening up.

The needles also make a a difference. I do a lot less scootching when I’m using slick, shiny circs with narrow, slippery cords. Addi Turbos are my choice but the KnitPicks Options aren’t bad either. What I hate are circs with a sharp bend at the juncture of the needle and cord. I guess that hump is supposed to keep the stitches from falling off the needle, but that’s hardly a problem if you have to keep shoving stitches over it.