2008 Year of the Stash! Retiring on Dec 31!

Hi y’all! :waving:

The New Year is fast approaching! Are you ready?

Our 2007 Year of the Stash thread was very well received! The support helped many of us decrease the size of our Yarn Stash! It kept us “stash-minded”, didn’t it?!

I did good at reducing the amount of beautiful yarn languishing in my YARN JAIL this past year! For those of you who might be wondering, “Huh? What is yarn jail???”

Yarn Jail looks different in every knitter’s home. In mine, yarn jail is bags, baskets, bins, trunks and closets! Regardless of what the jail cells look like, the outcome is the same: the yarn is not being used, it is locked up in the dark…and doesn’t think it has any hope of getting out any time soon! Parole denied!

Does anyone want to join me in 2008 for another auspicious Year of the Stash?
If so, join me on the Stash Train! :grphug: Post a reply here, and if you want to, post Your Goal! We are in this together! [COLOR=Red]There are[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]no rules.[/COLOR] Just try to use your Stash as best as you can! Haul it out, organize it, add up your yardage, feel it, think about it, and get excited about it again! It doesn’t matter if your Stash is small or great. If [U]you[/U] want to do something about it, you are in the right place at the right time! ( If you are reading this and it is already June, don’t worry…the Stash Train makes regular stops for New Stashies! Hop aboard!)

[COLOR=Blue][B]This is my personal GOAL[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue](I think it is realistic for me): [/COLOR]
For every Stash Yarn project that I complete…I can buy new yarn for a Reward Project. [I]But,[/I] I promise to use the New Yarn Reward [I]within 30 days.[/I] [COLOR=Red]I will not “stash” the New Yarn! [/COLOR]Otherwise, it amounts to one step forward, one step backwards. My Stash Yarn Totals won’t diminish! I want to DECREASE the size of my Stash during 2008! So, I won’t stash new yarn purchases. [COLOR=Blue]If I buys it, I knits it!
[/COLOR]
Then I move on to another Stash Project. The skein/hank totals don’t matter to me. If a Stash Yarn project uses up just 3 skeins, my New Yarn Reward could be for a sweater that requires 15 skeins! I won’t think in terms of skein for skein, hank for hank. I will concentrate on “batches” of yarn that I purchased for some reason or another long ago! :shrug:

At this point in time, my stash could be described as [COLOR=Red][B]S.A.B.L.E.[/B][/COLOR]
([COLOR=Red][B]S[/B][/COLOR]tash[COLOR=Red][B] A[/B][/COLOR]cquistion [COLOR=Red][B]B[/B][/COLOR]eyond [COLOR=Red][B]L[/B][/COLOR]ife [COLOR=Red][B]E[/B][/COLOR]xpectancy) :aww: That is not a brag…that is a true confession from a serial yarnaholic.

I am in! I seriously need to get through my stash. I think mine can also be described as STABLE. I love picking up new yarn and always have a project in mind but I buy faster than I knit and I belong to way too many sock clubs. But, its so fun to get yarn in the mail. :yay:

My goal is to take inventory of what I have and make a list of a project or 2 to complete per month. I also need to destash and give away some yarns that I know I will never use. They deserve a good home.

My stash is rather paltry compared to most as we full-time in our RV so space is really limited. I try to contain my stash to 50 skeins but I have managed to squirrel away close to 100 skeins despite telling myself not to buy more until it’s under control. I recently completed two sweaters for DH which took care of about 30 skeins. So my goal is to complete three of the four remaining sweaters before buying more yarn AND to strictly adhere to my 50 skein rule in 2008.

I’m in! I went on a buying spree the last few months and now I need to de-stash! i want to finish projects and empty drawers before buying more.

i am in, but i guess my goal is to complete more than i buy. I always buy with a specific project or idea in mind though, it’s just the speed at which i knit is much slower than the speed at which i find projects i want to knit :wink:

I am hoping for a set of Options for this christmas, since a big problem i have is a limited set of needles in the middle sizes (I have to have multiple WIPs or i completly lose interest in whatever i am knitting) so i am only currently able to have a couple of socks and one worsted weight at gauge project at a time. lace is out, what with my dd running around needing lots of attention still :teehee: large gauge/felting projects are also limited to just one at a time.

Fingers crossed i will stick to my goal and reduce my stash this coming year. Also, i have found ravelry to be such a help at actually SEEING what i have in my stash (and finding perfect project too)

Thanks Artlady (again) :hug:

Hi Ang, Tropicallie, Robynbird, and Jeanius!

Welcome aboard the Stash Train! :grphug:

Thanks for sharing your Year of the Stash goals with us! I think your goal is very reasonable, Tropicallie! The 50 skein maximum is a good goal!

Jeanius, that is also a good goal you have…to use up more than you buy up! :teehee: I do the same thing you do: my mind is racing all over the place, thinking about new yarn and this and that while I am in the midst of knitting something else! Sigh. Like tonight, I could hardly wait to get my 3rd bed jacket (pink) onto the blocking board cuz I am itchin’ to cast on for my daughter’s Central Park Hoodie! I swatched for it today, and then washed and rinsed it and blocked it. Then I had to force myself to go in and finish the dern bed jacket!

Robynbird, I think your goal is very do-able. Just finish up some projects and get some drawers emptied! I know you can do it, too! You will feel so good about movin’ that yarn onto better things!

Well, I am off to cast on for my daughter’s CPH! YEAH! It is a real easy knit, but aren’t some of the simplest patterns just the cutest ones!?? My daughter loves the model sweater. I bought her the same yarn, too…that leafy green Tahki Donegal Tweed. It is hard to find green tweeds. The Tahki Donegal Tweed is real scratchy (ack) and chemically smelling…but the wash/rinse/and final rinse with hair conditioner added to the water really softened up the swatch and removed all hint of the dye smell.

Well, I am waaay off topic! My bad! Sorry. Don’t mean to hijack my own thread!

Knit on, good women!! :knitting: Knit on, good men!! :guyknitting:

I am in. I have yarn on the way, and need to buy yarn for my DH’s scarf and then I need to get rid of most of my stash. All of my yarn have projects in mind, but just need the energy to get them done.

I wish i had a stash that I could join in but I only have enough yarn for a few winter projects. so by now and the new year I will have none again but I will keep watching you guys to see what you do with your stash good luck all you stash busters.:grphug:

I’m in again as well. I like your idea of 30 day limit on new yarn, I tended to just add to my stash every time I splurged on new stuff.

One of the things I love about Ravelry is to have a physical view of my stash. Its far from complete though… its one of my goals to complete this holiday season.

I’m in! I have stuff in my stash that I bought “just because” so part of my goal will be to find projects for all those unintended yarns! I also have a ton of patterns I’d like to try, so another part of my goal will be to try to use what I already have for things I want to knit. Only if I don’t have anything appropriate, will I use my Reward yarn purchases to buy the yarn for those projects.
And the last part of my goal is to stop worrying about knitting for everyone else and for gosh sakes, making something for ME for a change! :slight_smile:
Becky, I’m hoping to have some time over Christmas holiday break to add pics of all my stash to Ravelry…right now I just have the list but I agree, I think having the pics right at your fingertips helps you manage it better and assign the appropriate yarn to appropriate projects.

I’m buying my ticket to the stash train! My stash isn’t that large because I only just got back into knitting in the last year. That being said, I want to use this as motivation to actually knit something with the yarn I’ve bought. This is the perfect way…
EEK… now I have to go actually inventory my stash… Then I can set my [I]realistic [/I]goal…:woohoo:

Here is my stash problem. I have very little yarn that I have bought that I don’t have a project for. My stash problem is yarn that my mother gave me that is very nice yarn, but may only have a ball or two or one skein, or 3 partial balls (of the same yarn - I’ve yet to figure that out) that I have nothing to do with. It’s all very nice expensive yarn, but what do I do with it? I’ve looked at several of the “one yarn pattern books” and quite frankly, very little speaks to me. I don’t need a matching set of cup cozies (or a tea cozy or a sweater for the dog I don’t have) and there are only so many hats I can wear. I’ve thought about doing some charity knitting, but most of the yarn is inappropriate for the baby items and maybe too scratchy for the chemo caps. (sigh) So most of it just sits unused waiting for Some Project. Why can’t I just get rid of it? :smiley:

I’d like to book passage on the Stash Train!

My first goal is to get my stash out of lock up…aka out of storage in San Diego. I’m hoping this goal can be accomplished between Feb-May. It requires me flying from Canada to California though, so I need to work on bail for my poor yarn stash first.

You mean you are supposed to USE your stash??? I thought it was just supposed to be aquired and admired!!!:teehee:

I want to join this! I’ve been thinking about it today… I think I will create a tally system. Say I stash bust a hat and some dishcloths, that will equal me being able to buy yarn for a bigger project like a tank or shell. I usually buy one skein of something for no attended purpose at all…this will help be cut on that!

Hi’ya msmelody! :waving:

I know what you mean by ‘energy’. Sometimes that just means ‘motivation’. Here is what I did last year, to help me focus on my ‘list’ of projects.

1. write up a batch of yarn on a 3x5 card, let’s say PINK card
  2. write up an appropriate pattern for it on another 3x5 card, let’s say a BLUE card
  3. paperclip them together
  4. put them in a recipe file box under the month that you think you want to knit the project

The reason the pattern and the yarn are on separate cards is this: They are only “engaged to be married”. By being on separate cards, you can separate them and re-match them with someone else if you change your mind about the match.

I actually made up about a dozen pattern cards, and a couple dozen stash yarn cards…and then “engaged” them once I could see who was available, and who seemed to be a good match!

I still use this system. I just file them in order of importance to me. Like, what I feel like doing the most if first in line.

NOTE: the yarn cards give all the pertinent info about the yarn…color, fiber, gauge etc. The pattern cards say what book and page; the gauge needed, the yardage needed, the recommended yarn type, etc.

I have lots of un-engaged yarn cards and pattern cards…but I am always on the lookout for a match for them!

This system helped me get excited about knitting from stash!

Hi y’all! :waving:

Oh my oh my! As I count it up…we have ab out 15 Stashies on board! Welcome to all! Happiness loves company, right?

Beckyrae! I know what you mean about the Ravelry Stash folder! It is a great tool, isn’t it? Also kind of an embarrassing EXPOSE about my yarnoholic tendencies! Oh well, I figure other knitters couldn’t care less! We all have our own yarn-in-the-closet-secrets! :teehee:

JamoKnit! Yeah, that is my goal, too: adding [B]photos[/B] of all my Stash Yarns to my Ravelry Stash file. I also like the Queue thing, too, don’t you?

Hi Lee (lelvsdgs)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at the Ravelry Ranch! Welcome to the Stash Train! Hugs!

Hi Michelle (KnitnCook)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry, too! I know how you feel about the one skein wonders. They don’t usually speak to me either. For you, it must be particularly frustrating because these inherited yarns are expensive yarns…just not enough! How about this: start a log cabin afghan!
It is just the right concept! This log cabin idea is featured in the Mason-Dixon book! It is on sale at Amazon. Wonderful book. Worth every penny. click here
Here is a photo of it:

Hi alleusion! Baking a baby, eh!!? Congrats! :thumbsup: And welcome to the Stash Train! There are so many quick cute baby items in the Mason Dixon book. Things that take very little yarn. Visit the Amazon link. A lot of customers posted their knitted items from the Mason Dixon patterns! I love the bibs! Ya can’t have enough bibs for teething time. (droooolin’ bibs!) :wink:

Hi Samantha (SamSam)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry! I want to come visit you in LaLaland someday! Sounds like fun! And lots of knitters to keep us company! Tee Hee! :eyes:

Hi GinnyG! Yeah, I heard that rumor, too! We s’pose to knit the yarn! :teehee: Welcome! Sounds like you’re on board! :grphug:

Hey all,
I think I might join this one (I found KH in Oct, so I missed the first round). My mom thinks my stash is too big (Her actual words were “How much more of this knitting carp do you have?”) please, I have two 50L boxes and a couple of bags (some of which have gone walkabout. here knitting, knitting, knitting whistles) Anyway, to make her happy I’m going to destash. and to start off I’m going to kill some spaceships. boom! :yay:
one question. If you have some yarn for a project, but need a contrast colour to compleat the project, does it count as destashing or restashing?
FV

Hello little Vixxen! :waving: Glad to have you with us!!!
As to your question about the contrasting yarn needed to complete a stash project: It counts as destashing, or restashing, [I]based on[/I] [I]what you decide[/I]! I think it is GREAT when anyone uses up some stash! :yay: If you need contrasting yarn to finish the project properly, I think you should certainly do it, and pat yourself on the back! :woot:

Hugs from us all! :grphug:

Count me in!
My first goal is to either finish or frog some ufo’s … to make a list on Ravelry and finish or restash one before starting a new project. I am going to organize my stash on Ravelry. I will play match maker and make sure that at I have at least 5 yarns and patterns engaged by January 15th.