Is there any way to knit stripes into garter stitch without there being a right side and a wrong side?
i need a video that explicitly explains how to join mitered squares into a blanket or scarf, and how to actually knit the mitered square. Not large squares, medium sized. I’ve browsed so many videos on youtube, I don’t know which to pick. Any help would be appreciated.
Stripes in continuous garter stitch are going to have a right side and a wrong side. Each one looks good but there will be a difference.
This is a nice video for mitered squares that takes into account the direction of the diagonal miter. It’s a join as you knit technique that avoids seaming at the end if that’s an alternative for you.
It may be one that you’ve seen. It has a reference to a basic video for mitered squares too. The size of the square depends on the sts cast on. One half the cast on sts will form one side of the square. Using a worsted weight or aran weight yarn depending on how tightly you knit will work with size 8 or 9 needles.
Sometimes you just have to pick a video and give it a try with your yarn and needles. Then you can adjust the size square from there.
The colour change blips can look really lovely. Making them appear both sides of the fabric instead of only one side helps to give the impression of both sides being the ‘same’ even though they are not identical.
Working a few transition rows between wide stripe colour changes is a really nice effect (say 6 rows colour a then colours b a b a followed by 6 rows of colour b) to take advantage of the blips on both sides and make a feature of them instead of trying to hide them.
Another effect is to work narrow stripes and keep changing eg bbb ababab aaa bababa bbb.
Making blips on both sides means working some or all odd number of rows. If you use dpn or circular needle for flat knitting it enables you to slide all the stitches to the end where the colour you want is and to work single, or odd number of rows without cutting the yarn. It does mean that some rows are purled to make the garter ridges happen so if you’re happy with purling then this is an option.
If you don’t like purling there are lovely stitch patterns with less or no purling by making use of single or odd number rows, adding a second ball of the same colour (so you can knit from either end) or doing patterns of knit 3 rows purl 1 row.
Here’s a swatch i worked to show both sides, not identical but neither could be identified as the right side or wrong side so would be good for a scarf, shawl or blanket where both sides might be on show.
That’s a video I have not seen, either. Her squares are so neatly joined, aren’t they? Thank you so so much for taking time to find these, I appreciate that kindness.
You are so generous with your time to knit the swatch and then take a photo. That does look good, and I 'm fine with knitting and purling. How long have you been knitting?
Unfortunately the lighing and my tablet camera don’t help to show off just how nice garter stripes can be, my yarn isn’t nearly so dull as it looks here, but still, it’s just to give you the idea and you can experiment with your own colours and jot down how many rows you did of each to see what you prefer.
I learned to knit as a child, my mum taught me, not particulalry well or much but just enough that in my late teens i decided to make 2 sweaters. Then nothing until about 5 years ago, I’m in my mid 50s now so it was a long gap. What got me started was my son’s love of colour and the difficulty of finding colourful boy’s clothes. I bought some budget needles 2 colourful sweater patterns and let him choose the yarn colours. He got what he wanted, a bright striped sweater. I had a problem with one of the yarns and that was when i found this forum. I only stopped by to ask one question, and then they couldn’t get rid of me!
Sounds like me but I don’t have as much to offer as you do. I stopped in to ask a question or three about a sweater for my grandson (he wanted it so my first real knitting project was a hooded, seamed cardigan) and ya’ll are stuck with me.