Zig zag newborn hat

I do love this hat http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babypetalhat.htm but I would like a more “masculine” newborn hat-- maybe take out some of the eyelets. I really love the edge-- can anyone help?
Thanks so much!
Katrina

You could just skip the YO’s (keeping in mind to skip a K2TOG -or another decrease- for every YO). Just substitute plain knit stitches for those increases and decreases. And try to skip YO’s/K2TOG’s that are in the same column, if that makes any sense.

Wait, actually, no, that won’t work.

I just took a look at the pattern, and taking out all the YO’s (and a decrease for each one) would leave you with all knit stitches on the following rows (the ones you’ll have to change to remove the eyelet):

Row 4: k2, *yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1; rep from *, end k2 instead of k1
Row 6: k2, *k1, yo, k2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k2; rep from *, end k3 instead of k2
Row 8: k2, *k2, yo, k1, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k3; rep from *, end k4 instead of k3
Row 10: k2, *k3, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k4; rep from *, end k5 instead of k4

So [B]don’t[/B] sub-out the YO’s for plain knit stitches, instead, try subbing-in another type of increase (make one, Kf&b, KLL/KRL) so you can still keep that zig-zag shaping but eliminate the holes.

Here’s an example of what those converted eyelet rows might look like (m1 = make one):

Row 4: k2, *m1, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, m1, k1; rep from *, end k2 instead of k1
Row 6: k2, *k1, m1, k2, sl1, k2tog, psso, k2, m1, k2; rep from *, end k3 instead of k2
Row 8: k2, *k2, m1, k1, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, m1, k3; rep from *, end k4 instead of k3
Row 10: k2, *k3, m1, sl1, k2tog, psso, m1, k4; rep from *, end k5 instead of k4

wow Dawn Thanks I will try that!