YO questions

Hello, everyone, and happy August! I have a question about how to do a YO in a pattern called Lacy Diamonds. Here are the first 3 rows:

Multiple of 6 + 1

Row 1 (RS): *K1, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, K2tog tbl; rep from * to last st, K1.

Row 2 and every even row: Purl

Row 3: K2tog; *YO, K3, YO, sl 1 twice, p2sso; rep from * to last five stitches, YO, K3, YO, K2tog tbl.

The YOs are between knit stitches, so I just use the usual bring the yarn in front of the needle, or do I need to wrap it around the needle, as if I were doing a YO between purl stitches? I’m wondering if the K2tog tbl makes a difference. Thanks for any help, and let me know if you guys need the rest of the pattern.

By putting the ‘yarn forward’, aka “in front of the work”…aka “YO”…you will be creating 1 new stitch when you execute your next knit stitch, or your next maneuver, such as the K2Tog tbl as you described.

This is the most important thing to remember: does my method of YO create 1 new stitch? Am I leaving behind 1 new stitch? If it creates 2…you’ve done it wrong. If it doesn’t create 1 new stitch, you’ve done it wrong.

I think you are on the right track! :thumbsup:

Thank you, ArtLady. I thought I was doing it right, too, but something is going wrong, because I’m not ending up with the correct number of stitches for Row 3. :help: I’ll go back to the drawing board and try to see what exactly I’m doing wrong, if not the YO.

Row 1 of the pattern works out correctly over a multiple of 6+1. So if you are doing it correctly it should work. You have the right idea, start over carefully and see if you can figure out what is going on. Try it on a sample of say, only 13 stitches and see if you can get it to turn out.

I was trying your pattern. I wonder if you wrote row 3 out incorrectly?

YO, K3, YO, sl 1 twice, p2sso;
looking at this part I couldn’t figure out what to do, because it says to YO and then slip 1 twice and pass the 2 slipped stitches over. Over what? There is nothing to slip them over. Maybe there is another k1 after the two slips.:shrug:

sl 1 twice, p2sso;

Yeah, that should probably be - sl 2, k1 p2sso.

Absolutely correct – I did not type Row 3 correctly. Sorry, ladies!

Yes, sorry to mislead you. The pattern looks very nice in the photo, so I’m definitely going to persevere until I get it right!