YO Question

This seems so silly to me that I’m asking this, but I have never had a pattern where I have to do it so I’m not sure if this is right…

I have a to k yo p then later in that row p yo k

Do I just let it lay over the needle, kinda like I didn’t move it between the stitches? It’s a lace pattern so I want to hole…

Thanks so much…

I just yarn over from front to back like normal. All the time, no special technique for between knits and purls, and vice versa.

between a knit and a purl, do the yo like normal: wrap round once as per video, then bring to front like between a knit and a purl.
Between a p and a k, you can do it the same way, but it will be smaller, so you might prefer to wrap it around the opposite direction to make them match: after the purl bring the wool to back like always between a p and a k, then loop clockwise around the needle, then p. This will give you a yo of the same size. If you have been doing it differently, the difference may be very or not very noticeable depending on the project, the stitch, the wool, the needle size, and whether/how you block.

Between the purl and the knit I don’t do anything different as you have the yarn in front already from doing the purl. However, between the knit and the purl I wrap the yarn all the way around the needle once, otherwise it is no different from doing a regular knit then purl stitch. You’ll be short a stitch in your stitch count.

Cal, I meant that between a k and a purl, you wrap the wool once to get it at the back of the needle like for a knit (as for a yo between 2 knit stitches), then bring the wool to the front, so the wool is going a bit more than once around… say 1.2 times around. After a purl but before a k, if the wool goes over the top of the needle in the usual way, it doesn’t quite go all the way around… say .8 times around the needle instead of 1 or 1.2. Sometimes this will be noticeable… I am fussy enough to change direction to make them match, then it’s just a matter of choosing whether they will both be the smaller or larger version of the yo.
Sarah

Oh, ok, I guess we’re in agreement then! I know that if I am short a stitch in a particular row it’s almost always that I forgot to give the yarn a little extra kick around the needles doing a YO before a purl.

Here are Amy’s videos on how to do a YO before a knit, and before a purl.

For Continental Knitters:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/video/index.php?file=/increase/yo-rds.mpg

For English Knitters:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/video/index.php?file=/increase/yo-english-rds.mpg