YO,K2TOG Stitch Count Off

I am knitting a shawl sweater, pretty easy pattern:

Row 1: k1, *yo, k2tog; rep from * to last st, k1 Repeat this row until your work measures 31 inches.
Bind off all stitches. Weave in all ends. Lay your work out flat lengthwise. Fold in each corner and make a 7 inch arm seam with extra yarn and tapestry needle.

The problem is that I end up with a decrease in number of stitches. The total stitch count is 80; somehow I end up with with a smaller number anywhere from 4 - 6 stitches short.

I’ve ripped out or started over a handful of times. There is something I’m doing that I don’t realize at the time until I knit the next row. I count each row as I complete it before starting the next.

I’ve attached a link to a photo of the problem I frequently have but don’t know how to fix.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Kt76a5NKGxpUsDEw4mfgSevw

Welcome!
It seems like something random that’s going wrong and causing the decreases. You should be able to look back at the row just completed and spot the mistake. That may help identify the problem
The photo looks like a double yarn over. Here’s a video for the yo, k2tog in cast that’s part of the problem.

It may also help to put in a lifeline so that you don’t have to start over each time.

Thanks for the great suggestions and video links! I’ll try to locate the problem before starting the next row. I recount my stitches before I start the next row, but am missing the problem. I’ll have to do a more thorough inspection. Il’ll definitely use the lifeline!

I go over the row, naming the sts until I find my error. Good luck with this!