YO and Stitches

I’m still working on a scarf for my first project, but I’ve been doing nothing but plain knitting so I’m experimenting with something else to get familiar with different terms and stitches.

So, I took a look at this pattern and I’m doing my best to follow the instructions.

I’m on the first row, where it says K2, p to last 2 sts, k2. First of all, do I purl the YO stitches? Just as if they were anything else?

I’m also not exactly sure what this means: Cont as set, in St st with 2 st garter st edge, until work measures 4 inches, ending with a WS row

Does this mean I forget about knitting and purling, and just do stockinette with the garter stitch edge? :oops:

(And thank you so much to everyone for all of their help so far!)

Yes, you purl the yo’s just like any other stitch.

And continuing as set, then knit one row and purl one row except for always knitting the first and last two stitches.

Sounds like you’ve got the hang of it!

Oh, okay! And knitting one row and purling the next – that’s stockinette, right?

Also, when I’m coming up to those 4 inches, is that when I do the two-stitch garter stitch edge? I’m not sure I understand that part, lol.

On every row that you knit, whether its the knit side or the purl side, you start and end with two knit stitches. This will help keep your stockinette stitch (which, yes, is knit one row and purl one row) from curling. So on the back you would k2, purl across to last two stitches, k2. On the k side you would knit all the way across.

After you do this for 4 inches, you follow the next step in the directions which is for the drop stitch row.