I know what it means to yarn forward. Or, at least, I thought I did.

I’m looking in a book I have with a pattern for Quatrefoil eyelets. It’s a pattern done in multiples of 8, which isn’t the problem.

Moving on. The information in question starts on row 4, when I am actually making the first eyelet. It reads,

K3, *yfwd, SKP, K6, … and so forth.

And then it got more fun… row 6 reads,

K1, *K2tog, yfwd, K1, yfwd, SKP, K3, … and so forth.

My question is this. Why is yarn forward more complicated than I had previously thought? What is it, really, and what does it mean, especially if I’m about to knit the next stitch? I checked the glossary in the book of the abbreviations, and it just said “yarn forward, or to the front (knit next stitch)” … What? I’d assume it wants me to YO, but there is a separate abbreviation for that, and it’s not used in this pattern.

Please help – sorry for long-winded.


Perhaps info here will be helpful:

What you do with the yarn, and what results, depends on what st (P, K, slip, etc) precedes it and what follows (P, K, slip, etc). When done btwn two Ks, you just bring the yrn fwd between the ndls.


In this case, it’s a YO done just before a sl st/k/psso decrease. It may be easier if you do it as yfwd, bring it over the needle to the back, [B]then[/B] slip the st and knit the next and pass the slip st over.

Thank you guys very much for your help.

That link above to explaiknit was very very helpful!