YF followed by a K2tog, what the?

OK, I’ve got a stumper - mauve linen yarn up for grabs…

I’m knitting the lacy bonnet in Erika Knight’s Knitting for Two (page 92-93).

Well after a few times frogging, I gave up and tried to figure it out on paper before picking up the needles again. I finally got my stitch counts right, however, I’m stumped on the wording of row 17. Specifically it says “*k2tog, yf, k7, yf, repeat from * to last stitch, k1”. how exactly does one yf then k2tog right after that? Doesn’t one yf followed by a knit stitch? I see how I’m supposed to be at the stitch count she gives, but I just don’t know how to technically follow a yf with a k2tog. Am I just reading this wrong? I don’t want to get Amy in trouble by blabbing too much of the pattern, so if you need some more context, PM me.

Any ideas??? Like I said, mauve linen yarn up for grabs :happydance:

You’re making an eyelet with the yf rather than an increase.

You put the yarn in front and then knit 2 tog. You’ll still have two stitches, but one with be the yo and one will the the knit.

Make sense?

YF and YO are pretty much interchangeable.

y’all must have been telepathically communicating with me because I had an " oh duh" moment last night before I fell asleep. And immediately I wanted to get up and try the pattern again.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions! :thumbsup:

How does it look now that you’ve had the revelation?

i wish i knew :lol: i’ve been resisting the temptation of whipping out the needles and yarn here at work and trying it out…

but now that i’ve figured out the pattern within the pattern and stuff, i think it will be fine…if i can just keep track of it now…you should see my notebook where i scribbled out my re-write of the pattern! and people say computers are more difficult to understand than knitting :rollseyes:

:roflhard: you mean your’re not like like lucky Jamie where you can knit at work?

Some of those patterns do look really hard to keep track of. Up to this point, most of the stuff I’ve done is pretty mindless.

yeah, this is the first time i’ve tried anything remotely lacy because all the yo and k2tog and stuff scared the bejeebers out of me…but the bonnet is just so stinkin cute that i can’t help it!!!

i’m going to try to do a little on my lunch break…the people around me have too strong of a work ethic, so i don’t think i can manage doing more until they leave… but hey, i’m a librarian, i should have the right to knit at work, it goes with the stereotype! :rofling:

Right! Besdies, when you aren’t busy with work (probably never happens though) you should look busy to patrons by having something (knitting!) to do.

can you explain this to my boss? :pray:

I could try, but they probably expect you to be doing something silly…like reading :roflhard:

woo hoo!! i’ve made it to row 10 and my stitch count is right on!!!

i realize now that my biggest problem was translating the repeats to my needles. i had to just sit down and write it out: k2 yf k2 yf k2 yf k2 yf k2 yf k2 yf k2 yf k1. i was always skipping that last yf…so thanks Ingrid and Kelly for vibing that epiphany over to me…and thanks kemp for offering to convince my boss to let me knit on the clock…she did stop by to ask if i actually left my desk for lunch today (i’m supposed to set a better example for my staff, who don’t always take their lunch breaks)…ooops, didn’t do that, but at least i could say i didn’t do any work! … too busy reading the forums!

:roflhard:

Now there’s an idea…maybe if you taught all of your staff to knit, maybe they would at least take a break to knit or check KH