Yarn? Winter Scarf/Hat with no wool

Well, my mind is turning to Christmas presents and I would like to knit a winter hat/scarf for my sister who is allergic to all wools - any ideas for yarn that would be soft and warm that would knit up nicely for a cuddly scarf, but contain no wool? I am looking for something nice for next to the skin and just haven’t come across the “right” yarn yet. Thanks for any ideas!

You could double knit in a cotton…or use a fake fur yarn or eyelash. I presume you don’t want angora either because of the allergy so those are out. If you really want to stress ‘warm’, you could knit in a fake fur and back it with polar fleece. Polar fleece in itself makes nice scarves. You overlock or turn in the edges and then you could add a fringe of fake fur or similar.

How about a silk or silk blend. Silk is also a good insulator.

Candice

What about bamboo? Or maybe soy, but I’m not that familiar with it so I don’t know if it would work. There’s also linen, rayon, & hemp.

Cotton Chenille is lovely and soft and toasty warm!

Thanks guys - knew you would have good suggestions! I like the idea of the silk and the Cotton Chenille - I’ll take a look at those…

You could try Paton’s Soy Wool Stripes or SWS. They’ve got great colors and it is oh, so soft. Michael’s just started carrying it.

thanks for the suggestion holamiis - I am not familiar with those yarns, but have a Michael’s in town so I will check them out :slight_smile: