Yarn Weights

Hello! I’m a new knitter and I found my way to knitpicks.com and was looking around and saw that there were several yarn weights. What’s the difference in them? They had these listed:
Carrying, Lace, Fingering, Sport, DK, Worsted/Hvy Worsted, Bulky, Super Bulky. Ok, well thanks for all of your help! :shrug:

Here’s a website with a chart comparing all of the different standard yarn weights:
http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html
Hope that helps!

Here’s a brief rundown of the yarn weights:

[U]Carrying[/U] - A fine yarn that usually comes in low yardage to carry along with another yarn to add depth to the project.

[U]Lace[/U] - A very fine yarn that can come in either sewing thread size, to a bit finer than fingering weight. Of course, used for lace knitting. It’s really the hardest to classify , becuase there are so many varieties: gossamer to all different thicknesses.

[U]Fingering[/U] - A light yarn most often used for socks and Fair Isle designs, but can be used for other projects, like hefty shawls.

[U]Sport[/U] - A moderately fine yarn used for just about anything, socks, sweaters, and some afghans. It’s often used for Norweigan 2-color knitting designs, but can really be used for anything.

[U]DK (double knitted)[/U] - Just about worsted weight, in fact, almost identical to light worsted. Can be used for anything that calls for light worsted/worsted weight.

[U]Worsted[/U] - A medium yarn that can be used for [I]everything[/I] like socks, scarves, shawls, afghans, sweaters, all projects. It’s the most widely used yarn and most widely available. Light and Heavy worsted are just basically worsted, I never pay any attention and just use worsted.

[U]Bulky[/U] - A thick yarn used most for scarves, hats, afghans and coats. Not really used for pullovers, because they’ll be too warm. If you make a sweater, be sure to add extra stitches, because the inside measurment will be smaller than the outside measurement.

[U]Super Bulky[/U] - A very thick yarn, used for afghans, etc. Anything you want to work up in a matter of hours/days. Some super bulky yarn is only classified as such because it has a fuzzy halo and needs a large gauge to show it off.

That’s what I could come up with! Hope it’s accurate.

Thanks, y’all! That helps a lot!