Yarn that kinks

Does anyone other than me have a problem with the yarn kinking when knitting socks or other small tubes? I never seem to have the problem when I knit larger items in the round, like sweaters.
I use 2 circs. for socks & I throw the yarn with my left hand (although I’m right-hand dominant). I have the same issue with worsted wight yarn as well as fingering weight, but it’s a lot worse with the finer yarn. I’ve tried taking the yarn from the inside of the ball, the outside of the ball, re-winding the yard multiple times, putting the ball in a plastic bag & nothing seems to work. If anyone has a solution, I’ll be grateful. I’ll even appreciate hearing that others suffer from the same problem!

I’m not quite sure I understand the question–is the yarn knotting up as you knit with it? I’ve found that fuzzier yarns tend to do that because they stick to themselves. It’s very frustrating!

The yarn isn’t knotting, it’s twisting back on itself as it comes off of the ball, in the same way a spinner makes 2-ply yarn. After a while, it becomes so kinked that it doesn’t want to move smoothly through my fingers. Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.

OH!!! That problem!

It has happened to me too, particularly when I’m casting on, and did happen when I was knitting. I think it’s because the tension of the yarn is too tight before it gets to the needles. I knit continental, and I’ve had to stop wrapping the yarn around my pinky to stop the kinking. I’m not sure how you hold the yarn in your throwing hand, but watch how you do it to identify where that too-tight tension is.

Thanks for your suggestion. Since I don’t wrap the yarn around any fingers when I knit, I can’t use your suggestions as a simple fix, but it does give me something to thing about. I’ve thought from the beginning that it had something to do with how I held the yarn, but I’ve had knitting teachers watch me knit in hopes of finding the problem & no one saw an obvious flaw. In fact, one person said that a certain amount of kinking is “normal”, a statement I’m dubious about.
If anyone else has an idea/suggestion, please let me know.

I’ve had that happen to me in knitting as well as crochet. I find that different fibres and different brands all “kink up” differently. If it’s really bothersome, I’d suggest holding the yarn and letting your project drop and untwist itself.

Nicole, thanks for letting me know I’m not alone. Unfortunately, letting the project drop & spin has become a regular event in the course of my sock knitting. [One teacher I consulted on this point looked horrified when she heard that I do this.]
I have an untested hunch that yarn manufactured with a “Z” twist rather than an “S” twist is less likely to behave this way, but “S” twist yarns are the more prevalent. Any thoughts on this?

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by S and Z twists… All I know is that I discovered in my crocheting that if a thread didn’t split, that it would kink up. I always preferred the kinking up, because splitting drove me crazier.

Nowadays, with kinked yarn, I just try to work some of the extra twist into my project {if I can’t drop it} to keep it from making me go batty.

Personally, I have a heard time with anyone, especially a teacher, telling you that you are doing something WRONG with your knitting like that. It’s like when my mom told me I was crocheting wrong {I was using knife hold rather than pencil}, or I felt like I was knitting wrong {I use a version of continental} because all the pictures I could find showed holding your yarn in your right hand.

Wow, Nicole, I just figured out that I crochet “wrong”… :rofling: I can’t even imagine holding the hook like a pencil… :??

I have noticed, re the kinking problem, that the more plies the yarn has, the worse the kinking is.