Yarn suggestion needed

Hi! I am seeking advice because I’m a bit stumped. I am knitting a scarf for a friend and the pattern calls for a 1x1 rib knit on size 2 needles. You can imagine how tedious this has been, I have finished about a foot, which looks great but I am disappointed with how stiff the piece has turned out. It has no movement at all and I doubt it will feel nice to wear.

I’ve use Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran since I had enough lying around to complete this but I think I need to abandon this and find a better yarn to work with. Can someone please recommend a yarn that is (preferably) sport weight or bigger that will drape nicely with a 1x1 rib that is knit small and tight?

Whoa that had to be hard on your hands! A scarf should be soft not dense. If you’re using size two needles then you’ll probably need fingering/sock weight. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of yarns that weight. It will say #1 and usually says fingering or sock on the label.

Is the scarf all 1x1 knit? If so then it would be easy to alter. Meaning you could use a heavier weight yarn and large needle with less stitches.

if you can frog what you have, that yarn is too nice to be knitted that tight and stiff. Use the needles that produce the fabric you want, and if you think it’ll be too big, as Jan says, just work fewer stitches.