Yarn subtitutions

I’m a newbie here, so if this is a stupid question, please forgive me.
I have a pattern for a summer top that calls for a “light worsted” weight yarn. Can I use DK weight? I can’t imagine a summer top in a wool worsted yarn. Most of the cotton/blend yarns seems to be in either sport or DK weight. I need some advice so I can get started.

BTW, any suggested yarns would also be very helpful. So many choices… it’s confusing! THANKS!

There should be a gauge given (like, 20 stitches per 4" or something) for the pattern, that is the most important thing… you want to find a yarn that has that gauge.

So you’d probably need to stick with light worsted, or you could use another weight and recalculate some things.

I think you could also use sport weight and knit with 2 strands or it held together to get a worsted weight. :?? Hopefully someone that knows more will respond.

I would check out Elann.com…they have some very nice summery dk yarns :wink:

Using generalizations, light worsted and DK are roughly the same. I’d use the recommended gauges on the label as a guide, and be prepared to change my needle size if necessary.

Thank You for the advice. I was confused as no yarn wrapper ever says LIGHT WORSTED. The gauge required is 5.5 stitches per 1", I sort of thought DK would be okay, but as a newbie have no idea as to how one goes about changing the number of stitches and/or rows to accomadate a different yarn. Then there’s the “drape”, I want something to fall softly and not be rigid or stiff. Maybe, I’ll just wait until next season to try this pattern, I should be a better knitter by then! Thanks again.

Just try to choose something that have roughly the same weight and close to the same gauge. Needle sizes are easily changed up or down a few until you achieve the right gauge for the pattern you are using.

So you’d probably need to stick with light worsted, or you could use another weight and recalculate some things.

I am currently doing this, completely on purpose and I knew what I was getting myself into (switching a pattern from a chunky yarn to a worsted yarn) and it is a lot of math and calculations, a lot more than you may think. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a great learning experience for me and I’ve been loving the math and figuring things out and even better when it actually WORKS! So unless you up for that kind of thing, try to substitute to the same gauge! :wink: