Yarn Substitution

Hi!

I was hoping to make a sweater for the first time and wanted to use this pattern as it seems relatively at my level of knitting (hopefully haha). https://myfavouritethings-knitwear.com/collections/english/products/sweater-no-14-v-neck-eng

It calls for 1 strand of Knitting for Olive merino and 2 strands of mohair held together to get a gauge of 16 sts x 21 rows.

This combination of yarn with the amount I’d need for the sweater is a bit above my budget so I wanted to find something else I could use to knit up instead but I’m having a tough time.
I was wondering if anyone had any good affordable and accessible in the US substitutes for the Knitting for Olive merino and mohair yarns?
OR can I substitute an aran/worsted weight yarn that just hits the gauge knitted as one strand? With this option, the pattern calls for ~1000 m so do I still shoot for 1000m of a chunkier yarn?

Sorry if this is confusing, I appreciate any input and please let me know if I can clarify anything further!

You could use a single strand of a yarn that gives you gauge (about 1000m for the smallest size). If the softness of the mohair is what attracted you to the sweater, lace weight mohair like Aloft from Knit Picks is worth a look.
You might also check the yarns used by the project knitters on the Ravelry page. Yarnsub.com is also a good source for substitute yarns.

Such a soft, lovely sweater.

1 Like