Yarn slip mistake! Did WYIF instead of WYIB

I am currently knitting a hat that instructs for a sl1. I had mistakenly done these as wyif for the first 3 repeats of the pattern before I realised that I should have been doing it wyib. Is there a way to go back and change the individual slipped stitches without having to undo my work? Any searching for fixing errors in knit work does not seem to cover slipped stitches and I’m not sure if it would be a different process since they are meant to be slipped and not knit or purled?

I’d really like to be able to correct it without undoing all the work! x_x

Thanks in advance!

It seems to me that you would still have to ladder down to each individual slipped stitch and flip the yarn in front to a yarn in back. If there are many of these sts, it may be faster to rip everything down to the mistake and reknit.
Alternatively, you could leave it as part of the pattern if it looks good to you. I’ve sometimes used the reverse side of a pattern stitch as the RS because I liked that look.

1 Like

Thanks for responding, Salomon. So just to clarify, going back to correct a stitch that is intentially a slipped stitch (albeit the wrong way) is no different whether it is a slipped stitch or just a regular Purl or knit stitch?

Yes, just like correcting a knit or purl. I don’t see any other way to move the yarn other than to get down to the stitch that the yarn passes in front of, flip the yarn strand to the back and ladder up again.

1 Like

I’ve fixed slipped stitches with the yarn on the wrong side like this. It gets tedious quickly. I’ll do a few if it’s in stockinette but otherwise I’d usually prefer to frog back and rework the whole piece.

1 Like

Michelle, seeing that it is a hat, I don’t think that your “mistake” will be noticed. If it were me, I would continue in the same way, for a uniform look. No-one will ever know, if you don’t tell them.
Quite frankly, I don’t like laddering down, the stitches never seem to sit the way they were.

Since it is a hat, there aren’t that many stitches to do. It seems that you did the whole row “incorrectly”, so ripping to that point is probably the most efficient thing to do. To have to ladder down and back up for each stitch is going to take far too long. However, you will become an expert on that technique!

Did you use lifelines? Of course you did. It would be foolish not to. Those are now going to come in very handy.

And count this as a learning experience! Nothing is wasted here. You can leave it (call it a pattern feature) or you can take it out and re-do. If it is going to bother you when you look at it, then fix it. If you won’t see this hat again, then forget about it. But that is me.