Yarn recommendations for irish scarf

my mom has asked me to make her a scarf… i am a newbie and i want to try cables and this scarf is beautiful…so i am makeing the irish hiking scarf. we are going to the LYS in tacoma (http://lambsearfarm.com/index.htm) to pick out yarn for her. whats good yarn? i have only used acrylics (from wal-mart) and recently bought some bunny hop to make a jumper for my dd (so pretty and soft!). so… :shrug: i’m clueless… should we just feel it up :oops: or just wing it by color? :cheering: thank you ahead of time

Any worsted weight will work, but if they have merino–give it a feel. It’s so soft and lovely to work with.

I couldn’t get the site to come up to see what they had.

thanks igrid! you are always so helpful :happydance: … now i will just have repeat over and over…“worsted…merino…”[size=2]i will not forget[/size][/i]

thanks igrid! you are always so helpful :happydance: … now i will just have repeat over and over…“worsted…merino…”[size=2]i will not forget[/size][/i]

I agree w/ Ingrid–I made my first “nice” scarf out of merino. I used to love Kool Wool by Lion brand (it’s a merino blend) but it’s discontinued now…

Good luck w/ your shopping trip–let us know what you pick out!