Yarn over, yarn over needle

In a list of knitting abbreviations, I saw these two terms listed separately. I thought they meant the same thing… a yarn over?!
Now I’m confused.:??

Yep, they mean the same thing. I seem to remember hearing or reading that some use the different terms to differentiate between a yo for knit and a yo for purl, but not sure about that.