Yarn over question

I have a question about “yarn overs”:

Do you always put the yarn over the needle from the front to the back (as in Amy’s video)? Even after a purl stitch? Since a purl stitch ends with the yarn in front of the needles, I was wondering if maybe the yo should go behind the needle, then over the yarn to the front. I’m knitting - or should I say frogging - some simple lace socks and lost a stitch along the way somewhere, and I think it’s because some of the yo’s follow purl stitches and I accidently dropped one of them or knitted it together with the purl stitch because I didn’t see it.

Thanks!

For a yo do whatever movement it takes to make one new loop over the needle between stitches.

Between 2 knits, wool at back: do a wrap just like you do when the needle’s through a stitch to make a knit, i.e. bring wool to front like for a pul, then OVER the needle to the back again.

Between a knit and a purl: do the normal yo, then bring the wool to the front like you normally do when going from a knit to a purl.

Between two purls: around in the same direction as a knit stitch or yo, ending up back at the front

Between a knit and a purl: just once over the needle to the back.

Once you’ve been knitting with yos for a while, you know when they’re coming, and you get used to knitting them without dropping them, or noticing and picking them up immediately when you do.

Sarah

Thanks for the quick answer - I think I understand…I’m at work now and don’t have my knitting with me to sit here and try it out.

I have to do yo’s in this pattern between a purl and a knit, so it “feels” like I’m only doing half a stitch if I take the yarn from the front (after purling) and put it over the needle to the back to knit the next stitch. That’s why I was wondering if I was supposed to be wrapping the yo around the needle in the opposite direction than a “normal” yo.

I’m definitely going to use a lifeline on these socks in between the lace patterns - I could not figure out where the missing stitch was between the increases and decreases and yo’s…so I had to frog the whole thing. Ah well, practice makes perfect. :wall:

If you are doing a yo between the purl & knit then instead of taking the yarn under the right needle (if you were just doing straight P, K) take the yarn OVER the right needle ready for the k stitch.

Thanks! :muah:

I’m going to sit down now and try to get through this lace pattern without messing it up!