Yarn over help!

Whenever I have a pattern of yarn overs and K2tog’s, I seem to end up with the wrong number of stitches. It seems to me that a series of YO, K2tog should have a multiple of 3 stitches. The yarn over takes one stitch, and the K2tog takes two. However, these patterns are always multiples of 2 stitches. I come to the last yarn over, and then there is only one stitch left, so there is nothing else to knit it together with. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with the pattern? This has happened with two different patterns.

no the yarn over MAKES a stitch… it doesn’t do anything with your current stitch. Unless you are making the piece you are working on bigger in that spot, most of the time there will be some form of decrease to go with the yarn over. Basically you are making one stitch and taking one away so they should balance out. Do you have a pattern you are working on that we can look at?

The pattern is: Slip 1, Knit 4, * YO, K2tog, repeat from *, knit 5

I think I figured out my problem. I had always counted the stitch that you make after you wrap the yarn around the needle as part of the yarn over. But now I think that the yarn over just consists of wrapping the yarn, and the next stitch is whatever comes next in the pattern…is that right? So in this case, I would wrap the yarn around and then immediately knit two together.

You’ve got it! :cheering:

Yes, a YO is simply wrapping the yarn around the needle.

sue