Yarn forwards & extra stitches

This is a UK pattern that will hopefully be a wrap that I just love!

Here’s the row I can’t seem to do without having extra stitches at the end: [B]sl1, K2, *K1, yfwd, K3, yfwd, sl1, K1, psso, K1, K2tog, yfwd, rep from * to last 4 stitches.[/B]

I think I’m at the stage of an official “knitting hangover”. HELP!!!
I’ve ripped back and started over 5 times already. UGH!
Thanks!

[B]sl1, K2, *K1, yfwd, K3, yfwd, sl1, K1, psso, K1, K2tog, yfwd, rep from * to last 4 stitches.

[/B]I count that you should have

3 10 4

k1 = 1
yo = 1
k3 = 3
yo = 1
sl1, k1, psso = 1
k1 = 1
k2tog =1
yo = 1

Yeah, I get the same count as Ingrid. 3 border stitches, 10 pattern stitches (these are the ones you repeat for pattern) and 4 border stitches. So whatever you are doing you should get a multiple of 10 sts plus 7.

I SO appreciate you all replying, I’m desperate here.

I started out with 115 stitches. With the increases, specifically the row: [B]sl1, K2, *K1, yfwd, K3, yfwd, sl1, K1, psso, K1, K2tog, yfwd, rep from * to last 4 stitches[/B], I end up with 132 stitches instead of 115. Shouldn’t I still end up with 115 stitches on each row regardless if there are increases or not? I think I’m just going crazy now. The row after this is: [B]sl1, K2, P to last 4 stitches and then knit last 4[/B]. Even after knitting the next row of course I still don’t come out right.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kimmy

Some lace patterns are like that, they’ll increase in a row and then a few rows down the road they go back to the original count.
Sometimes they don’t go back down until almost the very end of the repeat. Take the “branching out” scarf for an example, you start out with I think it’s 25 sts, increase up to I think it’s 32 and then in one row just before the repeat ends you are back down to the original count. Just trust the pattern and you’ll do fine.
That’s why I like the stitch count in parentheses at the end of a row. You know… blah blah blah x times blah blah blah (123) at least that let’s you know that you are on the right track.

That’s a great idea! I will try that out and see what happens.
Now my next question is: Being that this is a UK pattern, the abbreviations are different, as you know. It is saying that a “yfwd” is different than a “yon”. If this is the case I’m really confused being that I thought a yfwd and yon were pretty much the same thing. Your thoughts?:knitting:

They end up being the same thing, essentially. Yfwd brings the yarn forward, and if the next stitch is a knit, you get your YO. If the next stitch is a purl, patterns often use yon to make sure you do it properly.

From that row you posted, it looks like you inc 3 sts, but only dec 2, so you’re going to gain 12 more sts in that row. Which means you should end up with 127 sts, not 132. Unless you actually started that row with 120 sts…?

Okay, I’m going to go back to the drawing board and see where it takes me.

Thankyou,
Kimmy:muah: