Wtf?!?

Okay so here is today’s mystery:

k7, yf, k1, yfrn, p, yon, k1, yf k7, k3tog

Please help me.

What pattern are you working on?

lemme guess… the bed jacket for mom?
sounds like vintage pattern lingo to me?
All those love “y” things are just the old fashioned way of saying…“YO” (yarn over).

If you need to decipher the knitting abbrev, the Glossary is helpful. Or, as fibrenut noted, all the ‘y’ steps are a variation on ‘YO.’

cam

Yf = yarn forward

yfrn = yarn forward round needle

yon= yarn over needle

hope thats what your after, it’s early here and i’ve not had my coffee yet LOL.

The different ways to write YO are for when they’re between 2 k sts (yf), between a k and p (yfrn) or between a p and k (yon). They actually show exactly how you place your yarn between the different sts.

Momwolf - It is out of the lace and eyelet harmony guide for the leaf pattern.

suzeeq - Where ohh where can I find this delightful illustration?

There may be a illustration (? - you mean explanation?) for it on a british or australian/NZ site, but it’s just something I’ve learned from reading about.

I think she meant they [B]tell [/B]you exactly what to do with the yarn, but there isn’t, say, a picture that I know of, to show.

Try to just do exactly what it says, while holding the yarn in your right hand, for knitting English (I find that it makes much more sense than when I hold the yarn for continental knitting).

So, yf = yarn forward; simply drape the yarn forward, over the right needle. The working yarn tail will be in front, and you’ll have to take to the back to knit the next stitch, then you will see you’ve completed a yarn over/new stitch.

yfrn = yarn forward around needle; do exactly that, drape the yarn forward and fully around the needle so the tail is in the back. Now bring the yarn back to the front for the next purl. You should have created one new (yarn over) stitch between the knit and purl.

yon = yarn over needle The yarn is already in front because you just completed a purl. Now take it back, then over the needle, working tail will be back in front, take it back to knit next stitch. Again, created just one new stitch, this time between the purl and knit.

HTH

More explanation on this blog.

cam

I think she meant they [B]tell [/B]you exactly what to do with the yarn, but there isn’t, say, a picture that I know of, to show.

Hmm yes, that’s what I meant.

So, yf = yarn forward; simply drape the yarn forward, over the right needle. The working yarn tail will be in front, and you’ll have to take to the back to knit the next stitch, then you will see you’ve completed a yarn over/new stitch.

Not quite, you don’t just put the yarn over the needle, but bring it to the front as if you’re doing a purl st, [B]then[/B] lay it over top of the needle. When you do whatever to the next st, it makes the YO.