wrap and turns

Hi there,
I am in the process of knitting a sweater that has a cap to make on the sleeve prior to making the actually long sleeve itself…it states the following:

“knit 1 stitch past the turning gap. Wrap next stitch”…

My question is: is that the same as knitting to your wrapped stitch, working that wrapped stitch, knitting the next stitch, and wrapping the following".

Prior to that it had you do two rows of knitting to the wrap and wrapping the next step and turning …but rows 3/4 have the part about knitting 1 stitch past the turning gap"

The problem I am having is that when I get finished with all the wrap and turns I have too many stitches between the markers. It has be place a marker 14 stitches on each side of the center shoulder.

Here are the total instructions:

Shoulder Cap
Shoulder cap set up: Use two removable stitch markers and mark 12 (12, 12, 12, 12, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14) sts centered over shoulder seam.

Row 1 [RS]: K to end of marked sts, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 2 [WS]: P to end of marked sts, wrap next st, turn work.

Work wrapped sts as you come to them.

Row 3: K until 1 st past turning gap. Wrap next st and turn work.
Row 4: P until 1 st past turning gap. Wrap next st and turn work.

Work rows 3 and 4 a total of 4 (5, 6, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 2, 3) times.

Row 5: K to turning gap. Wrap next st and turn work.
Row 6: P to turning gap. Wrap next st and turn work.

Work rows 5 and 6 a total of 4 (4, 2, 7, 7, _7_, 8, 8, 7, 10, 9) times.

There are now 38 (42, 42, 40, 40, 42, 44, 44, 46, 44, 46) sts between turning gaps, including last wrapped st on each side.

Row 7: For ALL sizes, knit until 2 sts past turning gap. Wrap next st and turn work.
Row 8: P until 2 sts past turning gap. Wrap next st and turn work…

I feel my issue is that I am not understanding where to stop on each of the three sections…Meaning:

Rows 1/2 K to end of marked its
Rows 3/4 K until 1 st past turning gap
Rows 5/6 K to turning gap

I was to end up with 42 stitches between my turning gaps and I had like 56…Not sure if any of this makes senses :confused:

Thanks for any help. Loved finding this site,
Barbie

welcome to KH!
I tried it and it does work out to 42sts. Maybe it would help to mark the gap? although for me, the gaps were fairly large.
When you work rows 1/2 you have one stitch each side of the markers. After rows 3/4 you have 2 more sts each side outside the markers. That’s repeated 3 times total so you have 7sts each side outside the markers.
Then you work rows 5/6 which each add one stitch more outside the markers per row. Since there are 7 repeats, that’s 14sts each side total.
14 + 14 + 14 = 42sts.