Woven herringbone pattern

Has anyone ever knitted a herringbone pattern? The pattern I have is called Woven Herringbone and after googling it, I found one other pattern that was the same but without instruction. Here is a sample of the pattern:
Row 1: K2 *yf, slip 2, yb, k2 rep from * across
Row 2: P1 *yf, slip 2, yb, p2, rep from *, end last rep p3

So the question is: how do you put the yarn to the back and then purl two without making a funky double stitch? Because now I have an extra stitch and have to return the yarn to the back to purl the second stitch. If this is what is supposed to happen then how to you treat these new funky stitches on the next rows-as one stitch or two. The pattern doesn’t say anything about increases and it’s a bracelet/cuff so I don’t think you want to increase anyway. Any body have any ideas? Thanks.

I don’t know what this stitch is supposed to look like. Do you have a place that shows a picture of it? The directions as you gave them didn’t make any sense to me either. I Googled “woven herringbone knit stitch how to” and found this site:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2057561_knit-woven-herringbone-pattern.html

The instuctions didn’t make real good sense there either, but I figured out something from what it was saying. I tried it out the way I interpreted it and it makes a neat stitch. But like I said I don’t know what the one you were going for looks like.

This is how I interpreted what they were saying, and this is what I did and it is a neat stitch.

It doesn’t say how many to cast on, but I used a multiple of 4+2. I tried it out over 14 stitches.

Row 1: K2, *yf, sl2 purlwise (pw), yb, k2; repeat from * across.
Row 2: P1, *yb, sl2 pw, yf, p2; repeat from * after last full repeat purl 1 more st.
Row 3: *Yf, sl2 pw, yb, k2; repeat from * end yf, sl2 pw. Make sure the yarn in front of the end sl2 pw runs across the last K2 sts, turn work so you can begin row 4.
Row 4: P3, *yb, sl2 pw, yf, p2; repeat from * ,last repeat ends purl 1 instead of purl 2.

Do these 4 rows a total of 3 times for 12 rows.
Row 13: Repeat row 3.
Row 14: Repeat row 2.
Row 15: Repeat row 1.
Row 16: Repeat row 4.
For rows 17 though 24 repeat rows 13-16 two more times.

I didn’t work the pattern past row 12, but I suppose it works. I guess after row 24 you start again at row 1 and work the whole sequence again.

Try this out and see how you like it? Is it what you are trying to do, or am I missing the mark? :slight_smile: I tried. LOL

Yeah I think there’s a typo on row 2, try what Merigold suggests and see if that comes out looking like your pattern.

Wow, that’s a well thought out answer! I am in awe that you took the time to figure out the “right pattern.” That’s the kind of knitter I want to be. I can make cool things but I can’t deconstruct patterns or engineer my own ideas-yet! So, I was about to send you more info on the pattern and then get down to business with your pattern but I googled one last time and came up with this:

http://www.hnabooks.com/page/stc_craft_errata_ak

It is a correction to the pattern! The pattern is from the book Alterknits by Leigh Radford.

I always find interesting things to knit and go for it with lots of enthusiasm only to be put in such a frustration that I want to pull out all my hair! Last night, I tried to work that pattern out for 5 hours, including googling, emailing the author, and getting on this forum (which is a fantastic resource)! I have finally come to the realization that it is not always me being dimwitted-and I am glad for that realization!

Thanks again for putting as much effort as you did into helping me out!
Danielle Rearick