Would this substitution work?

My son is in the Oregon Guard, I’d like to make him a pair of [I]washable[/I] fingerless gloves. The pattern calls for a wool that is 70% merino, 20% nylon, 10% angora. It states that each yarn requires approx. 71 yards. What I found in a camoflauge is a Bernat 100% acrylic, approx. 195 yards.

I’m new at knitting anything but scarves, so would really appreciate any help to figure out if this would work, although it seems to met that the Bernat is twice as thick.

TIA!

What is the gauge of the original pattern?

If you use yarn that’s twice as thick, you’ll end up with gloves that are twice as big.

I’m sure there are fingerless glove patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com that use worsted weight.

If you use yarn that’s twice as thick, you’ll end up with gloves that are twice as big.

Thanks, Ingrid, I did think that would happen, but wondered if there was some kind of math change I could do. Since I bow humbly in the face of all the knowedge you Mods have, I went to Knitting Pattern Central, and indeed, did find a worsted weight pattern that might work well. It’ll be interesting for me, something new to learn. Thanks!

You can compare yarns at yarndex.com to find subs by weight, fiber, etc. There are washable wools if you want to stick close to the orig recommendation. If you shop joann.com you can shop by fiber, weight. You may like the camo colors but acrylic isn’t a natural fiber and, thus, doesn’t breathe. If you’re looking for something to provide actual warmth, there are lots of natural fiber/blends you could option.

cam

Everyone says since acrylic isn’t natural and doesn’t breathe it won’t be warm. I find it to be too hot; it does keep body heat in for the very reason that it doesn’t breathe.

If you were doing a math change on a scarf, or maybe even a sweater, I’d give it a shot.

I’d be afraid that with gloves, you’d end up with the thumb hole in the palm. :rofl:

Most of the gloves you’d buy at the store are acrylic. I’m sure they’d be fine.

Later, when we don’t have The Kate, I’ll go figure it out. I think acrylic yarns are warm also, but then we live in Oregon, so his gloves don’t have to be as warm as if we lived in Nova Scotia