Would really like some pointers on making these gloves on DPN's

Hi there,

you guys have always been so brilliant and helpful so I turn to you all again,

I’m knitting these gloves on dpns: http://woolyheaded-housegloves.blogspot.co.uk/

I’ve gotten all the way up to the little finger and just finished that (hurray!). however, after that I get a bit lost.

• Firstly, with “continuing the palm” it says to pick up and knit 2 stitches then knit the live stitches. I know how to pick up stitches, but not pick up and knit simultaneously. I did just pick them up and then knit the stitches on the hold and knit the picked up stitches on my way back round, but I’m not sure if that then causes problems for when I start the next finger and need to transfer the “first and last stitches”.

also, picking up only 2 I tend to get some big gaps, is 2 to little ?

• Lastly, once this bit is mastered (which I’ve yet to do), when it comes to starting on the ring finger, this bit throws me: “Join yarn at base of middle finger. Pick up and knit 2 sts along side of little finger, then knit across first dpn”

I don’t understand why I’m joining yarn, as this makes it sound like its been cut somewhere, and given that the ring finger would now sit above the little finger…how can I pick up stitches along the side of the little finger ?

I appreciate I’ve just asked a bunch of questions, but I’m so keen to try and complete this and feel like I’ve accomplished something, i’ve only just started out on DPNs and really want to complete a project.

Best wishes,

I wondered what “house gloves” were! What a great idea. I know some Harry Potter fans who would love these.

Sounds like you did the right thing with the pick up and knit of two sts. Some directions say pick up some say pick up and knit but it’s the same idea. Then continue with the held sts.

If you have gaps when you pick up 2sts you can either close them up later with a yarn tail or you can pick up more sts (say 4sts) and k2tog on the next round.

I’ll take a closer look at the pattern for the ring finger and get back to you.
ETA: You’ve just finished the pinkie by closing up the tip of the finger and cutting the yarn leaving a tail to weave in later. For the ring finger, start by joining a new end of yarn and knitting across 6 of the ring finger sts, then pick up 2 sts on the side nearest the pinkie. So not actually the side of the pinkie, just the edge nearest the pinkie. Continue knitting the remaining 6sts and then cast on one to close the gap between the ring finger and what will become the middle finger.

Hi there,

thank you so much for getting back to me on this, I really appreciate your help so much !! And you’ve helped to clear up things a lot!

I hadn’t thought of picking up more than 2 stitches then K2tog later on (I feel like i have to follow instructions to the letter!).

out of interest, how would you close gaps later on with the tail?

And if its ok, just to clarify, am I supposed to pick and knit stitches simultaneously, or just pick up and work my way across? I think the reason I’m hung on this, is because when it says to knit the first 6 stitches and last 6 stitches for the ring finger…I’m not too sure if the picked up stitches are included in this.

Again, I really appreciate your help :slight_smile:

You can use the tail to weave through the legs of a couple of sts and close up the gap. Do this from the wrong side but watch what’s happening on the right side (outside of glove) to make sure the gap closes neatly.

I think of it as simply picking up the stitch but some patterns call it a pick up and knit. It’s the same, just pull a new loop through and place on the right-hand needle. When you think about the motion you use, it is like knitting: the needle goes into a stitch, the yarn is wrapped around the needle and pulled through.

The picked up sts are in addition to the first 6 and the last 6sts. You’ll have a total of 15sts for the ring finger.

thank you so much for this !!! You’ve really explained things so clearly to me, I really appreciate all your help and advice :slight_smile:

Best wishes.