Worsted sock yarn suggestions

Hi! I’m looking for generic yarn brands and colors that would look good for socks. Does Red Heart or other regular, common brands have any line of yarn that stripes and makes a beautiful pattern for small projects like socks?

If you’re making socks, I would recommend a brand that doesn’t primarily use acrylic for their yarn, because while Red Heart has nice colours, acrylic is horrible for socks. Your feet won’t be able to breathe, just get sweaty and uncomfortable.
I’ve used Patons, Drops, Regia and West Yorkshire Spinners yarn for socks. Patons is probably the most generic of those brands. They have a line called Kroy Socks which is self striping yarn and it comes in nice colours. All the others have self striping yarn, too.

1 Like

Yes, I absolutely adore the Kroy patterns on Paton, but they are all superfine and that won’t work for the pattern and needles I use. I was hoping there was something out there like worsted acrylic (I know, I know) that was self-patterning. I really don’t like Red Heart for socks, but I’m had wonderful success with the Lion Brand Pound of Love acrylic yarn.

For some reason I skipped over the worsted weight bit - doh! It’s too early for me to be on a forum! But I did google again and maybe Bernat Pop would be good?

1 Like

Ha! Hey, I’ll take any help I can get! And maybe so. The problem I run into with yarn like that is that, by the time the color changes, I’m already at the end of my sock! It seems all the self-patterning worsted weight yarn is made for bigger projects. Man, what I’d give to make a sock with those Kroy patterns, ha! I’m just not patient enough to make the teeny socks with DPNs or magic ring.

I have knitted most of my socks with Novita 7 Brothers. It is a super wash yarn with 75% wool.

2 Likes

Well, how much do you like Kroy by Paton?
Could you Navajo ply the Kroy to get closer to worsted weight? Or use four strands of the same Kroy colorway with the patterns synched up?

2 Likes

It’s funny you said that, I was just wondering myself if I could do that. I’m afraid the dye lots might not match up just right and I’d have a real mismatch on my hands, but I’ll certainly look into it.

1 Like

My all time favorite is Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn, Jazz Stripe. It makes your work appear to be fair isle.

1 Like