Working on last stitches in a row only

Hello everyone! I am working on knitting baby booties aka “Ballet Slippers” and cannot figure out the next step in the pattern! It says:

Next row (RS): K8 sts, bind off center 3 sts, work across rem sts.
Working on last 8 sts only, purl 1 row even.

I cannot figure out how to approach working only the last 8 sts. Do I transfer the beginning 8 sts onto a holder? Or simply drag the yarn across the first 8, that does not seem right. Or is it referring to the first 8 sts on the purl side? I’m assuming it wants me to work on the WS because the next set of instructions are for the RS. The next instructions are:

Dec row (RS): K1, ssk, k5 - 7 sts.
Rep Dec row [every RS row] twice - 5 sts.
Work 9 rows even.
Bind off.
With WS facing, join yarn to rem 8 sts, and purl 1 row even.

See attached picture of where I’m at now.

Thank you so much for any help! I tried to search online but there’s nothing that comes that answers my question. I wish I knew an experienced knitter to learn from but am self taught!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
The last 8 sts are the ones you just finished knitting. Turn after the knit row and purl across those 8 sts only, then follow the directions for the decrease rows.

You could leave the sts on the other side of the bind off on a holder if you wish or you could leave them unworked on the needles. You’ll get to them later.

Your knitting looks lovely and even. We’d love to see a photo of the booties when you finish.

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I’ll get back to work!