Working on a raglan sweater and need help deciphering pattern please

Hello all, I am brand new here…I am thrilled to have found these forums. :slight_smile: I’ve been knitting for just under a year, but really have become serious about my knitting fairly recently.
So, I am trying my hand at making a sweater for my 5 year old daughter. This is my very first sweater…right on the heals of knitting my first sock (pun intended). So, it’s a bulky weight raglan sweater and I am knitting it exactly as the pattern has told me. I am now to the raglan shaping (for the back, the first section I am knitting) and I am very confussed. This is how the pattern reads:

[B]Shape raglans: Cast off 2 sts beg of next 2 rows. 49 sts. Dec 1 st each end of needle on 3rd and every following 4th row 1 time, then every following alt row to 23 sts, ending with a purl row. Leave rem sts on a st holder.[/B]

I have done the first 2 rows and am now down to 49 sts on my needles. I am stumped with what to do next. Do I st st the next three rows and dec that row and the next and keep on with that until I have 23 sts?? And what technique would/should I use to dec? Cast off?? K2tog?? I am just really confussed. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I am sure I will be back with more questions as with this sweater, I will be learning how to cable as well. :slight_smile:

Thanks again,
Kelly

Welcome to Knitting Help!

Do you have a link and name for the pattern? It helps us if we can look at it. I take it it’s a seamed sweater? I ask because raglans are super easy when you do them in the round with no seaming. :wink:

Shape raglans: Cast off 2 sts beg of next 2 rows. 49 sts. Dec 1 st each end of needle on 3rd and every following 4th row 1 time, then every following alt row to 23 sts, ending with a purl row. Leave rem sts on a st holder.

Since it it says to cast off 2 at the beg on next 2 rows and then goes on to mention the 3rd row I would consider that they are talking about the very next row being the 3rd row. If that is not what they meant it will still work out.

For the decreases I would use a slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over or a slip, slip, knit at the beginning of the rows and a knit 2 together at the end. And I would do them in a couple of stitches. Like k2, ssk (or skp), knit across to the last 4 stitches, k2tog, k2. Putting the decreases in from the edge will make it easier to sew up and will look nice. If you’d prefer you can put the decreases only 1 stitch in from each side.

After you do the row 3 with its decreases then start counting the next purl row as row 1 and work 3 rows and on the 4th (which will be another RS row) do another decrease row. After that you do the decreases at each end of every RS row until you have 23 stitches left.

Thank you SO very much for the help…I think I am understanding what it is saying now. Thank you!! :slight_smile:
Here is the link to the pattern:
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3822 It’s called ‘Chunky Kids Pullover (knit)’

thank you, thank you!
Kelly

Oh! And yes, it is a pieced sweater, I don’t know how to convert knitting flat to knitting in the round (though I would’ve loved to have knit this one in the round instead), I just figured it’d be better to knit as the insturctions say and maybe my next sweater I can knit in the round. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Kelly

This question may seem simple…but do I cut the yarn from the pieces of the sweater I am working on? I mean, how long of a tail should I leave?? There isn’t a need to keep the yarn on the piece that I am finished with for now to start the next piece, right??
I am exhausted right now, so I hope this made sense. LOL!

TIA!
Kelly

Unless your pattern says not to cut the yarn for some reason just go ahead and cut it to move on to the next piece. I like to leave about a 5 or 6 inch tail for working in later. Even if you were supposed to leave the yarn on and you accidently cut it you could still just start a new yarn and it wouldn’t hurt anything, you’d just have another tail to weave in.

Thanks again for all your help! I am stumped once again on this pattern. I knew I would have more questions!
I have finished both the back and front, I have done the raglan shaping on both and currently have the front on the needles…but the instructions tell me to put the remaining sts on a st holder, I haven’t yet.
The next step in the instructions is shaping the neck. First question is am I going to do this on both the front AND back pieces, I don’t see the answer to this anywhere?? Here’s the link for the pattern again: http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3822

And this is what the instructions say:

[B]Neck shaping: Next row: K2tog. K11 sts (neck edge). Turn.
Leave rem sts on a spare needle. Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 2 rows, then every following alt row 3 times, AT SAME TIME, dec 1 st at raglan edge on every following alt row 5 times. 2 sts.
Next row: P2tog. Fasten off.

With RS of work facing, slip next 14 sts onto a st holder. Knit to last 2 sts. Work 2tog. Work as given for Left side, reversing all shapings.[/B]

The front of this sweater has a cable pattern in it, so I continued with the pattern along with the raglan shaping, so I assume I do the same for the next shaping?? The instructions tell me to K2tog. K11 sts…but that takes me into the pattern for the cable, which the 11th st should be purled. Is this where I stop the cable pattern??
And then, I am just completely confused with the rest of this part of the instructions, I am not even sure what to ask. Can anyone help me?? I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew…

I think that’s just for the Front only. You’re basically done with the Back except for when you use the sts on the holder for the collar.

Yeah, you stop the cable pattern and just work in stockinett. The rest of the instructions tell you how to work on the shoulders separately, and you’ll need another yarn end for the 2nd shoulder.