Working Multiples Isn't Working

Hi,

I’m expanding my knitting skills. I’m working on the lace pattern portion of a project. The instructions read:

Lace Pattern Stitch (worked flat over a multiple of 12 + 3 sts):
*k1, p1, k1, yo, ssk, k5, k2tog, yo; repeat from * to last 3 sts, k1, p1, k1.

I have a total of 99 stitches on a row.

Here’s my dilemma: when I knit the above, I end up with 14 stitches (I’m counting the two yo as two sts each) thus exceeding the 12 sts. Not only that, to knit that portion I go over the 12 sts and “move into” the next 12 sts so I can knit all of the stitches the pattern calls for. And when I look at the knitting pattern picture, it shows that I should end up with and stay within 12 sts.

I don’t know if I’m explaining myself very well but any guidance, help, insight is most appreciated.

If it’s typed correctly and I’m reading it correctly I get too many stitches as well. Hmm… where did you get the lace pattern? Do you have a link or is it within a pattern?

The problem may be in counting the yo’s as 2 sts each. A yo shouldn’t use a stitch. It’s just moving the yarn to the front between the needles, then over the right needle to the back. When you knit the row, the yo will then count as one stitch each.

Thank you both for your responses.

Jan, I bought the pattern at a local yarn store and I found the link on Ravelry (see below). This is one line of a lace pattern that’s being used to make a pair of boot cuffs. I hope this helps.

Ginger Root by Sara Gresbach

Salmonmac, if I’m understanding you correctly, then I bring the yarn to the front and instead of knitting the next stitch to do “finish” the yo, I would do the ssk. That’s what I’m understanding but I could be wrong. What I’m not completely understanding is the part where you state “then over the right needle to the back”.

A yarn over is just that, the yarn brought over the needle however you’d normally wrap it, from the back to the front over the needle and returned to position to work the next stitch. It makes a stitch and doesn’t use one. I know there’s a video here.

The next move would be the slip, slip, knit.

Thank you all for your input. It helped and I was able to figure out what I did wrong.