Woo! Lion Brand!

Hi all!

I know they’re a cheap brand, but that was what I was looking for - in the UK we have a severe shortage of cheap yarn that isn’t in baby colours - I want blacks, purples, bright blues etc. I’m allergic to wool and other animal fibres so needed good acrylics or other types of yarn. I had previously thought of importing lion brand yarn to see what it was like, but the customs charges I’ve been hit with before made me think twice - they’re not worth paying for cheap yarn.

Then, thanks to the wonders of Ravelry, I found there’s a UK online supplier and ordered a few samples - so today I got in the mail
-one ball of chunky Jiffy in Chilli (deep red colour), which I love - I’d been looking for a soft fuzzy mohair like yarn for ages.

• one ball of chenille thick and quick, in a gorgeous deep teal colour, but it’s a little hard so I think I’ll use it for something homebased rather than clothing

• one ball of deep blue glitterspun - another love - it’s soft and nowhere near as scratchy as the UK equivalents, and it sparkles beautifully

• one ball of black Tiffany - I actually can’t get over how soft it is, I just keep touching it. Unfortunately, it’s an eyelash type yarn so not something I’d really wear, but I think I’m going to make a really touchy-feely cushion cover with it…

and my favourite! - one ball of purple microspun, oh god how I love this stuff. It’s soft and smooshy and has a lovely sheen and I’m so impressed.

So, there we go - not luxury yarns by any means, but I’m on disability benefits so need decent cheap yarns. I’m very happy with my purchases :slight_smile:

Fi

yay! i’m holding a ball of purple microspun as i type…it doesn’t look like alot in the skeinish/ball.

Congratulations on your new find! Enjoy them!

Personally, I love Lion Brand yarn and use it for most of my projects. It’s inexpensive, yes, but not cheap. I hope you enjoy using it. The cotton is also very nice for socks and dishcloths and summer sweaters. Their website has a lot of great patterns as well.

and my favourite! - one ball of purple microspun, oh god how I love this stuff. It’s soft and smooshy and has a lovely sheen and I’m so impressed.

I used one skein of purple Microspun to knit an eye shade, attached a strip of black elastic, and I wear it every night to help me sleep. It’s wonderfully soft and comfy on my face!

I learned to knit using Lion Brand yarns, and even though I have a lot of other “fancier” yarns in my stash now, I’ll still grab LB Suede, Fettuccini, and Wool-Ease given a chance.

I love lionbrand! its got good yarns that aren’t expensive and some are devilishly SOFT!

Fi, you live in Scotland and there’s no wool? Amazing how things change. I bought some lovely stuff from there in the 70’s.

I am glad that you were able to get some fibers you can work with.

Yea! Congrats on your find! I love Lion Brand as well. Sure, the more expensive stuff is fabulous, but Lion Brand is great for every day projects. And the diversity is great! Enjoy!!! :woohoo:

Also, ebay tends to have a great selction of lion brand yarn (as well as others) - check them out on www.lionbrand.com to get a better look before you bid though.

That Tiffany yarn, it’s actually quite stretchy and you get a lot of mileage out of that itty bitty little ball of yarn. :thumbsup:

I have bought the microspun to use on the baby charity blankets and although acrylic yarn is not my favorite, I love the Lion Brand Microspun very nice and soft. I do also have in my possession on ball on purple. I will definitely use this for myself.

Where did you get it from Willowangel? Link please? :flirt:

got mine from www.banyantreeyarns.com. very good service had the yarn within two days of ordering it.

Is it posted from the UK then?

Check out the shipping from this place
http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/shipping.php

I also got mine from banyantree - they were very fast and very good :slight_smile: I’m trying to work out if I can justify buying more microspun to work with :wink:

DQ yes banyantree is in the UK

Love the Tiffany:muah: strand it with the Lionbrand cashmere blend and make yourself a wonderfully soft scarf and hat set!. You’ll be finding excuses to wear them! Mary

Ooh - that sounds good, I can’t wear cashmere, but I have lots of random silks lying around…

There are a lot of sellers from the UK that sell LB and other yarns on ebay. Have you looked there? Maybe that would work well for you. I too, love to use this yarn.