With 2 strands of yarn held together? "Say what"

Does the bellow pattern actually mean, put two pieces of yarn together, so you would actually be working with 4 pieces of yarn? Or is it a the basic knitting, you work with one piece of yarn? Confused? Thank you for your help.:knitting:

GAUGE:

11 sts = 4 in. (10 cm) in Garter stitch (knit every row) with 2 strands held together. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.

SCARF
With 2 strands of yarn held together, cast on 19 stitches. Work even in Garter stitch (knit every row) for 62 in. (157.5 cm). Bind off.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.

GAUGE:

6 stitches = 4 in. (10 cm) in Stockinette stitch (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) with 3 strands held together.
Due to the nature of the fabric when working with Speed Stix, gauge may vary throughout.
Here is another pattern that asks for 3 strands…please help…Thanks

EXACT GAUGE IS NOT ESSENTIAL FOR THIS PROJECT.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
NOTES:

Work holding 3 strands of yarn together throughout.

SCARF
With 3 strands of yarn held together, cast on 11 stitches. Work in Stockinette stitch (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) until about 20 in. (51 cm) of 3 strands remain.
Bind off.

FINISHING

The first instructions you gave are for holding 2 together. You just use 2 strands together as if they were one. It is easiest to have a strand coming from each of 2 balls, or skeins of yarn.

so you would actually be working with 4 pieces of yarn?
It says 2 and they stay 2, they don’t turn into 4. :??

On the second pattern you do like that but with 3 strands of yarn each coming from a separate skein. Use them held together as though they were one.

DO you have a video showing what you have stated here, I think I understand, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

You only work with 2 strands, not 4, on the first one; on the other one you knit with 3 strands of yarn.

There may be a video on Youtube, but you just take 2 or 3 strands of yarn and work them the same as you would with one. You do need really large needles for this - giant ones.

It’s fun to do, use some leftover yarn and the biggest needles you’ve got, about a 15 or larger would work for the first one. Or you can just do the patterns with a single strand of worsted weight and size 13s

By the strands of yarn I don’t mean how many ply of yarn the yarn is made of or anything. By a strand of yarn, I mean the yarn as it comes off the skein. Some yarn is made of 3 plies twisted together, or 4 or whatever, but that doesn’t matter, just the piece of yarn as it comes from the skein. For knitting with 2, have two skeins of yarn and where you usually knit with one hold 2 bits of yarn together in your hand that holds the yarn as you knit, just like they were one and knit with the two.