Windy City Scarf from SnB book-Can't understand instructions

I’ve done the several rows of ribbing (in skein A), and am now here:

Divide in half for opening: Rib 15 sts, attach second skein of A, and rib rem 15 sts. Rib 10 rows, knitting both sides at the same time.Rejoin two sides by working across the next row with one skein only.

I’ve ribbed the first 15 sts, attached the second skein of A, and ribbed the rem 15 sts. I do not understand what the next part (bolded) means. :rollseyes:

Can anyone explain this to me v-e-r-y …s-l-o-w-l-y. :oops:

You’re making the slit in the scarf here, right? I think it wants you to go all the way across your needle, working both halves out of their respective skeins, instead of knitting one half for 10 rows and then the other half for 10 rows.
It’s quarter to five in the morning, so if that didn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll try to amend it after a few more hours of sleep.

What Tab said. You’re knitting on each side of the slit, working up to it, dropping that yarn and then working the other side with the other strand.

THANK YOU, Ingrid and Tab!

:figureditout:

edit: (PS-I thought the pattern was telling me to knit both strands at the same time, but I couldn’t figure out why it didn’t just SAY so).

That makes complete sense now. My biggest struggle in getting the hang of knitting is the fact that I can rarely understand the directions. :rollseyes: It’s funny, I did fairly well in school, but somewhere along my life, I seem to have developed a learning disability. I’ll read what a pattern tells me to do, but rarely am I able to understand what it means. :wall:

If it weren’t for this website, and you helpful ladies here who’re willing to share of your time and knowledge, I’d have chunked my needles a long time ago. I am grateful. :waving:

PS-I thought the pattern was telling me to knit both strands at the same time, but I couldn’t figure out why it didn’t just SAY so.